Is anyone on this forum going to the NWC gathering at Gilmore ?

I am going. In addition to the gathering of woodies, there is a 1500 car judged show at Gilmore at the same time. This sounds like a really cool event. I can drive my Lasalle  around my neighborhood but driving it to this event is not possible. A friend offered to lend me his enclosed car trailer if I wanted to bring the Lasalle. I want to do that but for several reasons I don't think I will. I don't think my 1991 F-150 is up to the task. I don't know if it is possible to rent a truck but it would probably be more than I want to pay. I'm kinda tapped out after the seats. 

I have to go look at a project in northern Wisconsin, I have family about an hour and a half north of Gilmore, and my brother is captain on the SS Badger. I Haven't registered yet but I'm thinking do the show, visit family for a few days, ride the Badger across the lake, look at the project, and head home with a couple stops in Wisconsin and Illinois along the way. So I guess the short answer would have been, Yes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shootey said:

Can you enlighten us about the SS Badger?

The SS Badger, and her sister ship the SS Spartan were launched in the late 50s to carry railroad cars across lake Michigan. The rail service ceased in the early 80s and after a few years off the Badger was bought and converted to Passenger car service. She also carries quite a few semi trucks and also a fair amount of misc oversize loads that don't want to fight the traffic driving around the lake. She runs between Ludington MI and Manitowoc WI in the summer months and takes the winters off. In the days of RR service the car ferries (as they were known) would run year round, or at least as long as ice conditions would allow. The lake doesn't freeze, but the ports do. The Badger is still running on its original Skinner Uniflow recipricating steam engines, making it the very last one of that kind still in operation in this country.

Badger_Broadside.jpg

I'll be there with my 1946 Ford 1-ton Campbell Woodie.  Trailering it, of course.  Drove my 1947 Pontiac to Wisconsin two years ago for the NWC National Meet at Delavan Lake and had a great time, but the Ford tops out at 50 MPH, and not a comfortable 50 MPH either.  Since I was the president of the NWC way back in the eighties I'll be speaking at the banquet.  Hope to see all of the contributors to this forum there to put a face on a name.

• Like 1

I have a genuine Campbell Body shop coat. I’d be happy to give it away to a Campbell aficionado. it’s somewhat snug for me if I try to button it up but fits unbuttoned. 

28 minutes ago, Shootey said:

I have a genuine Campbell Body shop coat. I’d be happy to give it away to a Campbell aficionado. it’s somewhat snug for me if I try to button it up but fits unbuttoned. 

I had no idea there even was such a thing, got any pictures?

I'd gladly take that shop coat off your hands!  I'm a Campbell aficionado for sure.  I helped the late Verne Sessler establish the car show in Waterloo, NY in the early 2000's.  We used to have a couple of the old timers who worked at the Campbell Mid States plant speak at the banquet.  Their memories and tales were fascinating.  Unfortunately they're all gone now.

@PhilWood54 Send me a pm with your mailing address and I’ll send it. Maybe an email address too. Thomas Schuttish aka Shootey. 

I was aware of that Waterloo show and bought a back copy of a magazine that had an article about it. 

Edited by Shootey
Addition (see edit history)