Tire gauge

Milton and Schrader are my go-to. Tru-Flate have always worked well for me too.

That said, I have several no-name pencil-type gauges that came in auction house lots, and most surprisingly read the same pressures as my "good" tire pressure gauges. I guess there's really not much to go wrong in one. Still nice to have one with a reputable name.

Only problem with "good" gauges is they can sprout legs. Let someone borrow a cheapie and they'll bring it back. I've had to call out more than a few individuals who borrowed my name brand gauges and tried to innocuously slip them into their pockets when done with them.

In high school in the 70s, I worked for a country store owner who finally started charging people a $5 deposit to use the tire gauge. Before that he averaged losing one a week.

I've always done well with Schraeder

I've had this for years. 3.5" 0-60 psi gauge with a Milton chuck screwed onto it. 

I use this to see if the $1* pencil gauges are reading correctly so I can put them in my cars.👍

*I know, those cheap ones are more than a $1 now.... 

Tire Pressure Gauge 2.JPEG

Tire Pressure Gauge.JPEG

• Like 2

I was given couple of these several years ago for trial/testing and ended up buying half a dozen or so more to keep one in each of my cars, one at home (in the garage toolbox) and couple at the shop (toolboxes)

Gave one to my wife and one each to her sisters (for their respective cars).

Needless to say I like and trust them.

30A1BD86-DB7B-40AB-9E7F-17AB745B65B4.jpeg

• Like 1

Remember there are two types of pencil gages. One for regular air or nitrogen filled tires and another for liquid-filled tires like on a tractor.

On the one for liquid-filled tires, the indicator is spring loaded and retracts as soon as the gage is pulled off the valve stem. That's to push any chloride or antifreeze solution out of the gage's barrel so it won't gum up or corrode.

Yah, just had to throw another wrench into things!😄

• Like 1

Right, Glenn, and they usually have a hole on the side of the tube to help with that action.  That's how I tell mine apart. 👍

I have one of those pump up testers, with only one gauge. I use it to test water lines in new construction to show inspector the system holds pressure without leaking. 😉

• Like 1