I am reading a book about T.A. Willard. DB used Willard batteries from the beginning. Turns out Willard invented the storage batteries. He developed them before there was any uses for them. Then he designed cars or equipment and convinced people to build products to use his batteries.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

I am reading a book about T.A. Willard. DB used Willard batteries from the beginning. Turns out Willard invented the storage batteries. He developed them before there was any uses for them. Then he designed cars or equipment and convinced people to build products to use his batteries.  

We must be careful in believing what we read.

Alessandro Volta invented the battery.IMG_1410.jpeg.2354d06deb05eae8ca1905bc4d3132ed.jpeg

Others including Edison developed things further.

IMG_1411.jpeg.7ca6b0c7fa230016175c999b7f5c42ac.jpeg

IMG_1412.jpeg.f74c25fda3453d2d6c001e1e1597a6bc.jpeg

I know nothing about electricity, but I have to say after a short battery history study it seems there are a lot of different parties that might deserve credit depending on what one is speaking of specifically.

From what I can gather, I think it's all subjective with technical viewpoints depending on who you ask and for what specific use. I think "practical daily uses" in each era is being overlooked a tad, especially for the use in an automobile on a commercial use level. 

Eventually a discussion like this will lead to "technically, one could argue what about the Parthians 200 BC" ? 

The Evolution of the Automotive Battery - Clore Automotive

And the list of debate angles will continue if we want to get further into the weeds....

Afterall,

did Volta, Daniell, Gaston, Edison or the Parthians build a compact suitor for "practical every day use in automobiles"? Hardly...

Were each of the origins and theories or applications expanded on and improved. Yep

This is hardly a subject that is well defined for any one person or entity deserving of all credit for the use in automobiles. We should be grateful to all of their contributions equally from what I can tell.

image.png.35f7516be6308f1b88827ab64b1bdb0a.png

Exide - Wikipedia

Exide later became Willard

Then there's the technicality angle on "ignition battery"

image.png.51a7e252df2ee1a3f44139e4f2807ef6.png

All are important in history no doubt we can all agree on that.

Either way, Willard signs are still the most nostalgic...

Volta, Daniell, Gaston, Edison or Parthian signs don't have that same kick to them :)