Washington car

Dynaflash8

Some years ago a Washington touring car was displayed at an AACA National Meet in Hagerstown, MD. I have never seen it before or since, and wonder who owned the car and where they were from. My grandfather, who lived both in and near Washington, DC, owned a Washington car at one time and often talked about it. I also wonder if this is the only existing Washington car or if anyone knows of another. I believe this car was built in Hyattsville, MD by one Cary Davis of the Carter Car Co. Anybody know if that is true?

Guest BruceW

Earl,

You are correct.

The Washington (and at the same time the Carter Twin Engine) were built by the Carter Motor Car Coporation at Hyattsville. Carter also had offices in other cities including Philadelphia, New York City , and Milwawkee. The company also apparently manufactured commercial vehicles such as fire trucks and ambulances. Rector Seal's informative book "Maryland Automobile History 1900-1942" has 2 1/2 pages on the Carter and Washington.

The Carter Twin Engine (it had two 4-cylinder engines) was the more expensive model and the Washington was the lower priced model. Production of the Washington and Carter began in 1909. Production of the Carter Twin Engine only lasted one year but the Washington was manufactured until 1912. Production of the commercial vehicles lasted until 1917.

According to Rector Seal's information, most prices for the Washington ranged from $850 to $2500 depending on model. The Washington was also available as a limousine for $3250. Available engines ranged from a 18hp engine to a 60hp 6-cylinder engine. Mr. Seal identifies a firm named Baumann and Lilly located in Catonsville as agents for the Washington and Carter.

Thanks Bruce. I remember Rector Seal quite well while we were both members of the Chesapeake Region in Baltimore. Lower priced or not, the one Washington I've ever seen (at the Hagerstown Show) was a huge brass automobile. My grandfather told me the steering was on the right side and the gearshift and brake levers were outside of the body. I can't remember verifying that information when seeing this car at Hagerstown.

Guest BruceW

Earl,

Again you are correct.

The Washington did have right hand steering. The single, fuzzy photo in Rector's book is from the front left side so any controls on the right side of the body do not show, but its quite likely they were outside the body as done on many cars of that time. A tank for the headlight fuel and a large box (don't know its use) were mounted on the left running board.

And the Washington was a big car, the chassis weighing in at 2500 pounds alone WITHOUT the body. The car rode on 36 x 4" tires.

I first contacted Rector in regards to the Burns research when I started it and we have corresponded several times since. He was very happy that I was able to expand on the Burns information as much as I did and I have tried to keep him up to date on the results of my research. I need to contact him soon and let him know the latest on the recent lectures and the television program... all started by reading his book.

I'd be happy to scan the picture I have and pass along the info from Rector's book if you would like.

Hope this helps

Earl, The Washington is here in Connecticut, it was featured on a calendar years ago when it was white with a red chassis. Constant touring caused the white paint to fall off and it was restored. It is bright red body and frame now. I'll dig up the owners name and email address for you.

Guest Indiana_Truck

Bruce,

As long as you are scanning the picture, why not post it so we all can see! I don't know what it is about those real old time cars but I love to see them.

Bob

Thanks Bob for the information on the Washington being in Connecticut. For the life of me I cannot remember the color of the car featured at that Hagerstown National Meet (the year that Benny Bootle was President...I think '95?). I would almost believe my memory though, that it was white. I surely would like to ask the Connecticut owner if he or she knows of another Washington in existence. Since the Hagerstown car was so close to home, I sort of wondered if it could be the same car my grandfather spoke of. Of course, there would be no way to tell anyway.

Guest BruceW

Ok..

as requested...Attached is the pic of the Washington automobile from Mr. Seal's book.

It doesn't show much detail...looks like it was a picture from a newspaper..and scanning didn't help it any. But hope it helps.

A few details about the car

Made 1909 to 1912

118" wheelbase

chassis weight 2500 pounds without body

right hand drive

36 x 4" wheels on qiuick detachable rims

pressed steel frame

front semi elliptic springs, rear three quarter scroll elliptic springs

sliding selective three speed transmission

multiple disk clutch

drive by shaft

Internal expanding brakes

Engine in 1911 and 1912 4-hp, 4 1/8" bore, 5 1/4" stroke, cylinders cast in pairs.

ignition by magneto and batteries

The existing Washington is red, and it was red at the 1995 Hagerstown meet. It was restored just before that. I have pictures of the car that I will try to post here. If that doesn't work, I can scan and email them if anyone wants to see them. Or better yet, maybe someone else could post them here.

Thank you Mr. Paulson for the picture/s. I couldn't download more than the first one, I don't know why. See how an old guy's memory can fade. When Bob said white, I remembered white. If others will recall this car was brought into the banquet hall and placed on display the night of the Meet. I will never forget how astounded I was to see a Washington in the flesh after hearing about it from my grandfather as a kid. And to think, my grandfather fussed at my uncle for buying the car with $20 of his newspaper route money!