1928 Chrysler 72

Does anyone have a picture of the hinge part that the cowl vent attaches to ?IMG_2509.jpeg.51ebce9188fe1365fac8764f6979882d.jpeg

I  think you are missing quite a few complicated bits that form the hinge, adjuster, springs and closing/hold-open stuff. While different than yours, here is an "as found" picture of the cowl vent for my '31Chrysler CD8 (it was seized in this position), and some photos when cleaned up and in working order. All of the pieces as you might expect need very precise assembly in order to have vent close with even margins, level, and snuggly in rubber gasket. As shown, there is part of the hinge welded/affixed to the vent housing, and a series of arms, one decent spring and so on. As you note, you need a couple of good photos and some dimensions for what is missing on yours. Mine shows a drain in the channel, not sure if I will bother with connecting that to hose or something else, car is not likely to ever be in much rain, but may be washed now and then!

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_7072.JPG

Thanks GS and Jay. I think the painters disassembled the vent cover, so I will check there first.

Another aspect to this, is there some type of weatherstrip seal that goes around the edge of the opening so rain does not come in when it is closed?

The Pre 1934 Chrysler Master Parts List indicates for Roadsters/Phaetons, the CD8, CM6 and CI  had Cowl Vent Weatherstrip. Similarly for Sedans weather strips for cowl vents are listed from 1931 CD through CM CI CH Cl CO CT etc. However, I note for cowl ventilation parts generally, the Master List only includes Cowl vent parts for post 1930 models, and shows no Cowl vent parts of any sort for earlier cars.  This may mean the "cowl ventilator" was called something else prior to 1930? In any event, a rubber or cork gasket would seem reasonable and easy to make, and would likely include a small hole for water drain if housing has one. Such a  gasket also helps seat vent properly, keep drafts and bugs out. As for water, not sure just how it was intended to be dealt with. Especially in cold climates where freeze-up would be an issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to me there should be some other pieces, such as a spring (to hold it closed/stop from rattling), and a hold-open mechanism? Just curious, note these parts in pic above of my '31 vent.

Gunsmoke,

I tend to agree with you. There are some other parts that have holes in them and I just got a pair of springs from Jay.

Let me puzzle thru it for a bit.