1929 Ford Shay - $17,000 (Prescott Valley) For Sale, Not Mine.

I have seen a lot of these for sale lately. I'm sure they are fun! 

Where they fit into our hobby is a question without a clear answer...

"replicars" (for lack of a better name) can really vary. In my mind the spectrum runs from the Series One Excalibur (the work of a noted Industrial Designer Brooks Stevens) to the '29 Mercedes VW kit cars that bear zero resemblance to what they claim to be. What about a nice Clenet? Not my cup of tea, but this one sold for $70K on BaT last year.

1979 Clenet Series I Roadster

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Same here, don't know where they fit into the hobby. I will say that in 1980 there was a new green Shay Model A roadster for sale in the local Ford dealership show room. I was sure tempted. Just as well, now I own the real deal.

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)
  • Like 2

They just look like a poorly done restoration to me. The "wrong" lights, often times over-accessorized, and painted modern colors. White walls and those bright (chrome?) spokes don't add to the effect.

I would like to see one with authentic Model A parts substituted and painted an original color. The modern running gear I could live with.

• Like 3

Modern running gear that is 50 years old!  These are great for what they are, and should be considered that way. They are NOT a model A  but a continuation car. I think it was a genius idea when they came out. Thus they deserve some merit for that in itself. There was a fellow in my town that bought one new when he graduated from HS. At the time I thought it was the coolest thing around. No way should they be compared to someone building a one off something with vw power. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Modern running gear that is 50 years old!  These are great for what they are, and should be considered that way. They are NOT a model A  but a continuation car. I think it was a genius idea when they came out. Thus they deserve some merit for that in itself. There was a fellow in my town that bought one new when he graduated from HS. At the time I thought it was the coolest thing around. No way should they be compared to someone building a one off something with vw power. 

This.    Same thing as the 8/10 Cord.

thumb-2.webp.5172d31f2e6e61430601d12e652b1cfe.webp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

This.    Same thing as the 8/10 Cord.

thumb-2.webp.5172d31f2e6e61430601d12e652b1cfe.webp

I had forgotten about that one! If memory serves, (and it often doesn't) they had a Corvair drivetrain and were made of some miracle plastic. I haven't seen one in decades...I wonder if the plastic body didn't hold up. 

40 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

I had forgotten about that one! If memory serves, (and it often doesn't) they had a Corvair drivetrain and were made of some miracle plastic. I haven't seen one in decades...I wonder if the plastic body didn't hold up. 

They are around. You could get one with the turbo and the four-speed. Which I might actually be inclined to have.

There is a small club for them based out of broken arrow. My dad and I went to the reunion one year just so I could see the pickle factory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

How 'bout a faux '40 Ford?

1971 Volkswagen 40 Ford Coupe Beetle for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-998856

I like that VW a lot better than the Monte Carlo Corniche! 

1975 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Has an Identity Crisis, Thinks It's a Rolls-Royce  - autoevolution

• Like 1
  • Haha 1