Best clean up for REALLY bad stainless steel?

The window surrounds on my car were so bad (see picture) that I really wasn't sure what the original finish was. Today, just as an experiment, I attacked them with some 00 steel wool and elbow grease. I was shocked to see a shine start to emerge! Does anyone have a better method? Car is a 1951 Simca 8 Sport that sat in a field for several decades. Very rare, but not valuable. 

Window 1.jpg

Window 2.jpg

• Like 1

I have had good results with lacquer thinner with a vigorous rub down. My stainless had many years of normal weather exposure,I guess just dirt,tree sap,birds,acid rain,just anything in the atmosphere.Of course,you will get better results if you can take it off the car and polish/buff it.I have a HF buffer/grinder that I use.It is a slow process,but with the correct buffing wheel and compound and plenty of time,you can make it look like new.

• Like 1

I’ve used the 0000 stainless steel pad with a generous spray of Windex window cleaner on the pad and it comes out looking pretty good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nate Dort said:

Are you sure that's not plated? From the photo, it looks like it was rubbed down to the copper base layer under the plating.

I'm not sure of much! There is quite a bit of stainless other places on the car, and these widow surrounds aren't magnetic. Those blotches in the photo of the dirty piece turned out to paint. 

Assuming they are stainless steel----One of the great things about stainless is that it can almost always be brought back.  I have taken some really bashed-up pieces ( lower fender shield that looked like someone hit it with a baseball bat)  and slowly beat them back into shape, then used a file to locate highs and lows and beat a little more, then filed to shape and polished with various grades of compound and wheels.  It is a time-consuming process, but SS can ne made to look like the day it came out of the factory.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 5/1/2024 at 2:47 PM, Nate Dort said:

Are you sure that's not plated? From the photo, it looks like it was rubbed down to the copper base layer under the plating.

Apparently they are actually plated brass! Seems a strange application for this metal, but I suppose in France in 1950, it made sense.

741CD068-356E-474A-896A-8AC513BE7CA0.jpeg