check out this wood!

I know this post is probably bordering on the absurd, but Dave (NewOldWood) from Alabama cut me a piece for my International that I seem to have difficulty doing myself (long horizontal pieces that are shaped in the short axis).

I just finished putting six coats of clear gloss urethane on it before I take it to my farm and install it on the car. 

Check out the grain on that piece of ash (I chuckle to myself whenever I say "piece of ash")! I must say, that will be the most stunning piece of wood on my International with all that beautiful grain. 

Thanks again to Dave for bailing my ass out and making that beautiful piece of woodwork. I must say that I am constantly amazed at all the work you guys do and I am inspired to continue to attempt making every piece I can myself (sometimes successfully, sometimes not)!

wood.jpg

• Like 3

wow! You were lucky to find FOUR of them! It will be cool to see your doors when you get them done. My '48 Chevrolet (Will O'Neil's former car) has several "grainy" pieces, but I think that is out of the ordinary. 

Simply by it's species, ash is usually going to have a lot less beautiful grain patterns than oak. However, with the exception of Ford, we are pretty much stuck with ash for the frame wood pieces. 

I have seen a "custom" phantom woodie in oak. It looked like CRAP for some reason. I've also seen phantom woodies with oak plywood panels that also looked awful. I don't know if its just that we have become accustomed to ash and maple woodies with mahogany or maple plywood, or what. Those combinations look good together for whatever reason. 

I've toyed with the idea of using some odd type of wood for plywood on the interior of a woodie. Perhaps I will do it on the "next" one, as there always seems to be a "next one" that pops up!

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the 1920s Henry Ford bought huge tracts of land in Michigans Upper Peninsula. He was interested in getting the wood body construction in house and was really shopping for lumber, which in this case was Hard Maple. Everyone else seems to have settled on Ash, not sure why other than that it was readilly available. Red Oak is also very common in that part of the country and is still very commonly used for all types of indoor millwork. Red oak is unsuitable for any application where it may come in contact with water though, it will turn the wood black. White Oak is often sought out for applications which involve water contact, but is difficult to dry in thick planks. It is also not as common as Ash, and I think most people prefer the look of Ash to White Oak. That said, I just bought some White Oak veneer that I am going to use for interior panels on a car I am currently working on. I was browsing the inventory of my veneer supplier and it cought my eye. I built a 42 Ford body years ago and the owner wanted something different for the interior panels, been a while so I'm not sure anymore but I think these were a figured Maple veneer. The 42 Wagon had the typical Mahogany exterior panels, but I like the contrast of lighter interior panels.

IMG_5539.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

• Like 3

Having spent my entire career in the cabinet business, I've had the pleasure to work with many different types of wood, both foreign and domestic.  White oak has always been one of my favorites.  I love the texture, the look in plain sawn quartered or rift, even the smell of it, but in my opinion ash beats it hands down when it comes to woodie bodies.  Ash will bend, twist and handle impacts much better than any of the oaks.  There's a good reason that ash is the preferred wood for tool and implement handles, not to mention baseball bats.  How about hickory, you might ask?  Well, while hickory performs as well, in some cases batter than ash in torsional stresses, it is an absolute bear to work with.  Anyone standing near a shaper or molder when hickory is being run will know due to the sound as well as the flying chips.  Hard maple is a beautiful wood with many great characteristics, but it doesn't hit on all the important qualities like ash.  Let's face it, Ford would not have made all his bodies of maple if he didn't own almost the entire upper peninsula of Michigan which apparently was all maple trees.  When the shoebox Ford bodies were made with bent laminations, all the inner plys are ash, just the outer layer being maple.

• Like 1