35/40 series engine freeze plugs

They might have called them core plugs. Maybe soft plugs or Welch plugs. "Freeze Plug" is just a bit of slang referring to the fact that they often come out if the engine is allowed to freeze. Some people incorrectly assume it is a form of freeze protection. It is not. The castings usually break anyway. it is just a convenient way to plug holes that were necessary to make the engine castings.

I am no help specifically for the 233, but look along the side of the block and head, and on the very back, and under the side cover where the pushrods are. They are made of sheet metal and usually round.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buick35 said:

Is yours a Pontiac?

My Pontiac is a flat head engine. I also have a `36 Buick 40 series with a 233cu in engine. It has a down draft carburetor, and no water jacket cover. Lifter cover on the passenger side, block freeze plugs are on the drivers side.

1 hour ago, pont35cpe said:

My Pontiac is a flat head engine. I also have a `36 Buick 40 series with a 233cu in engine. It has a down draft carburetor, and no water jacket cover. Lifter cover on the passenger side, block freeze plugs are on the drivers side.

Weird that it doesn't have a water jacket cover.I thought it would be basically the same engine.Mine also has the passenger side lifter cover.Maybe I'll find block freeze plugs when I remove the water jacket cover. Could you send a picture?Thanks

35 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

Weird that it doesn't have a water jacket cover.I thought it would be basically the same engine.Mine also has the passenger side lifter cover.Maybe I'll find block freeze plugs when I remove the water jacket cover. Could you send a picture?Thanks

Total rebuild, have not installed or started it yet.

DSCN5712.JPG

DSCN5713.JPG

DSCN5717.JPG

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 8:21 PM, pont35cpe said:

Total rebuild, have not installed or started it yet.

DSCN5712.JPG

DSCN5713.JPG

DSCN5717.JPG

Thanks for the pictures.I looked at my catalogue from "Bobs"and it doesn't list a cover gasket for a 36,that should have give me a clue.Now I know.Nice looking engine.Greg.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2024 at 4:50 PM, Jolly_John said:

Greg (Buick35)...you have a private message waiting for you (for several days). Please click on the little envelope at the top of the page to retrieve it. Thanks! John

I was unable to retrieve my private message,could you e-mail it to me Thanks

Edited by Buick35
Delete e mail (see edit history)