Gas Globe Glass repair

Hello All, I need advice. Maybe someone can help. I have an AACA vintage style reproduction round gas globe. One of the globe lens broke/cracked in half, but not a perfectly straight break. These lens are no longer available from AACA or the original manufacturer. I have to try and repair the one that I have.

The glass is dome shaped, not flat, making it somewhat more difficult to fix. I tried Gorilla brand instant glue but it didn't work. I don't think any instant crazy glue will do the job.

I am looking for information or suggestions on a repair process. If anyone can help, please leave me a reply to this request.

Loctite makes a specific glue for glass applications.  I’ve never used it, I just know it’s available.  My local hardware store sells it.  I use E6000 glue for many applications but it is not a fast drying glue.  It does seem to be able to hold all types of things together. You might have to use a soft putty base to support the lens while you glue it.  Here is a link to the Loctite site.

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/products/specialty-products/specialty/loctite_glass_glue.html

• Like 1

I can appreciate your desire to fix it.  A good support for the lens while the glue dries is important with gluing projects.  Good luck to you!

I have had some industrial experience with bonding glass.  My recommendation would be to use a two-part epoxy on a very clean surface.  Pre-treatment with a silane bonding agent will improve adhesion.  
 If you have tried other adhesives already, methylene chloride (hazardous, but used to be available in many paint removers) will remove them.  Use isopropyl alcohol to rinse, then wash with silane, dab dry, and apply the epoxy per instructions.   Suggestions  above for fixturing are good, too.

Edited by Akstraw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I do not know about glass to glass bonding, but I have used several different products to bond rear view mirrors to windshields. If used as directed they work very well. Cleanliness and prep are extremely important.  You might want to check with a glass shop and see what they say.

I would suggest finding a professional restorer of porcelain and glass in your area. They are around, and they have the skill and products to do it in a way that will be virtually invisible.  

• Like 1