Tire Rotation

Eddie-O

Hello All and Happy Easter,

Decided to rotate my tires this weekend and I realized ,which way to go?

Bias tires are rotated on a X pattern. Left front to right rear, etc.

Radials are to be rotated from front to back.

I replaced the bias on my 41 Special last year with Coker radials with the original bias pattern so now do I go front to rear or X ?

A simple question from a simple mind.

Thanks ahead of time and I enjoy all you guys. This is the only forum I know of with so many rocket scientists.

Happy Easter too all

Ed

• Like 2

Originally the general recommendation for radial tires was to not change the direction of rotation; so only swap F-->R-->F.  The last 20 years or so that recommendation has been changed to allow swapping side-to-side, consistent with bias-ply tires.  Most times I personally rotate tires F-->R--F unless I see unusual wear.  The biggest factors I see for tire wear relate to the extra weight of engine/transmission and cornering loads on front tires.  Rear tires typically wear pretty evenly if inflation pressures are correct.  So, just swapping front to rear will usually be sufficient, but if the tires are relatively new then X-pattern rotation should be fine.

• Like 2

I remember when tires were balanced on the car, in the direction they spin. When removed, and balanced on a machine, are the tires spun in the direction related to where they are mounted on the car? Seems to me they should be.

If the radials are "non-directional" (meaning they can roll in either direction) you can "X" pattern your rotation. If the radials are directional (meaning they can roll in ONE direction only - sidewall will have an arrow so indicating) they should be rotated front to rear on the same side. Been this way for a number of years... Read more about it here (or any other tire manufacturer website) - https://www.bridgestoneamericas.com/en/company/safety/maintaining-tires/tire-rotation

• Like 1

You don't have to rotate radial tires only front to back anymore. In days past when tires were less robust, the radial plies were thought to take a set or "lean" in one direction and the sidewall rubber might be under undue strain from a reversal, potentially causing a failure. I don't know of any tire manufacturer who still requires rotating only front to back. I still do it though. Maybe I lose a little potential tread life by not reversing sides to even it out. Oh well. Your mileage may vary... literally. :lol:

• Like 2