1950 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery Styleline - $28,950

A lot of money but a really nice example! Much more text and pictures in ad...

https://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/d/monterey-1950-chevrolet-sedan-delivery/7731671715.html

All the sheet metal is original from top to bottom. Pop the hood and check out the straight six set in its original compartment. The electrical system has been upgraded to 12 volts, but that's the extent of the modernization. The original air cleaner, newer spark plugs and wire set were on the car as well as a new fuel pump. Gray paint and the Blue Flame decal are as the motor was from factory, matte black paint throughout the compartment. Full frame off restoration was in about 2005. This Sedan Delivery was in Old Cars Vol. 45 No. 4 February 11, 2016. I have posted a lot of pictures just taken today (in a light drizzle) and will be posting more, including some from the former owner at car shows etc. I am happy to take any more pictures you request. 

Email:   c3c19eaa23ab3c4fbeba3efec88265b6@sale.craigslist.org

1950 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery Styleline Restored 101313_kkXK97lX59N_0xd0sF_600x450.jpg00J0J_eMrMmuYCDXa_0t20CI_600x450.jpg01212_4LXEd0V93a4_0sF0t2_600x450.jpg00B0B_iNYd8sLK5ib_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful car! I'd love to have it...even if it meant suffering through all the pedestrians who'd shout, "Hey look! A hearse!" or "Hey look! A Nomad!" when you drive by. 😄

Thanks for posting, Leif.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chevrolet was alone offering a sedan delivery 49-51.  Ford had the 2 door wood wagons and they wouldn’t be appropriate for the rigors of heavy commercial use.  
Ford came back with a SD for 1952 when they introduced their all steel wagon.  Ford  (the wagon master) built both two and four door wagons so their SD had the longer two door doors.  

Chevrolet only had a four door wagon such that their SD used the short door.  (Up through 1954). Considering the practical utilitarian reason for having a SD I think that having a longer door would be advantageous for entry-exit and loading. 

• Like 1

Chevrolet was alone offering a sedan delivery 49-51.  Ford had the 2 door wood wagons and they wouldn’t be appropriate for the rigors of heavy commercial use.  
Ford came back with a SD for 1952 when they introduced their all steel wagon.  Ford  (the wagon master) built both two and four door wagons so their SD had the longer two door doors.  

1950 Pontiac sedan delivery?

https://barnfinds.com/one-of-400-1950-pontiac-sedan-delivery/#google_vignette

The seller mentions that he believes this is one of only 400 Sedan Delivery’s produced by Pontiac in 1950. I wasn’t able to validate that count though Hemmings claims there were 1,382 knocked together in ’51 so whatever the count, these were low volume vehicles. At this point, the Sedan Delivery was a dying body style and Pontiac terminated it in 1953 though there was a Canadian version (Pathfinder) that continued in that country through 1958

Text above may or may not be true

https://www.motoexotica.com/vehicles/327/1950-pontiac-streamliner-sedan-delivery-1950-pontiac-streamliner-sedan-delivery

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/pontiac/sedan-delivery/green-colour/between-50000-70000/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

A rumour has floated around for years that Oldsmobile built some sedan deliveries in 1949 and 1950. 

I've never seen one in the flesh but if they were built, they probably used the Fisher "A" sedan delivery body with Oldsmobile front clip and dashboard. I believe doors interchanged on all "A" platforms those years so it wouldn't have been a stretch to mate Olds and Pontiac front clips to the SD body.

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

A rumour has floated around for years that Oldsmobile built some sedan deliveries in 1949 and 1950. 

I've never seen one in the flesh but if they were built, they probably used the Fisher "A" sedan delivery body with Oldsmobile front clip and dashboard. I believe doors interchanged on all "A" platforms those years so it wouldn't have been a stretch to mate Olds and Pontiac front clips to the SD body.

That strikes a familiar chord. I'm pretty sure that they might have been Australian.

16 hours ago, DFeeney said:

If you ever want to insult a "Sedan Delivery"  owner call his vehicle a "Panel Truck".   ( Panel trucks have two rear doors)

And of course Mopar in the 30s called them 'Commercial Sedans'.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:05 AM, JamesR said:

Beautiful car! I'd love to have it...even if it meant suffering through all the pedestrians who'd shout, "Hey look! A hearse!" or "Hey look! A Nomad!" when you drive by. 😄

Thanks for posting, Leif.

Or, “Hey look!  A Hearst!”

You are most likely to hear it called a Hearst in one of the southern states.

• Haha 2

It's nice to see a fairly stock example.

Sedan deliveries were popular with the "hot rod" crowd.... when they were young. Same with vans.

I see softness in the SD market compared to sedans, or even wagons.

They're just not as practical, only two seats, huge blind spots, and most owners today- well along in years- want to stay in motels.

BTW- I own a SD; bought it in '85.
I was younger then.

• Like 2