1931 Cadillac - $25,000

It's going to be a long drive from anywhere to go look at this one! (more pics in ad)

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/wells-1931-cadillac/7729612890.html#

1931 Cadillac A 355 Sports Coupe 3 window with golf bag door ; been stores since the 60s ; It does run great stops ( mechanical brakes) shifts great fully synchro transmission ; running gear is excellent needs roof wood work all lower wood great ; these cars dont come up often don't see them at the Car Shows Lots more room inside than a Ford of that era its a large heavy well made car ; They usually being $90 K to $150 K depending on the restoration a V16 last year brought $950 K the V8s are a bargain need's tires to drive around while you restore it ;Located at my shop Don's Customs Wells NV can see it 7 days a week can deliver Thank you Don Williams 775 275 0661 

00H0H_fWarHdtOinV_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00y0y_48W1vVton31_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00y0y_3rLqOGpuHaB_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00s0s_2Npwl2wBeUs_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00b0b_7Uj5Q1EvMQX_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00E0E_92v07D0DKbh_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00v0v_4PW7S0STSZl_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00303_Zj0hzniiVb_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

Nice car, but I see lots of work on this one. Not sure about the bits and pieces that I see are missing. The wood may be a bigger deal than what is stated. I wonder what took place in the past for some of the body to be in primer and some not, rust repair? This one should find a new home after serious deliberation between seller and buyer.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Leif made a good comment regarding the location of this Cadillac being in "no mans land", and it is not even located on the "loanliest hi way in the US". Wells is located between Hiway 6-50 (loanliest Hiway) and I-80 in eastern Nevada.

Al

• Like 1

Wells is located at the junction of I-80 and US highway 93. Been through there many times. And as stated previously is in the "middle of nowhere." :)

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 8.16.56 AM.png

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)

I'm always fascinated by cities/towns in the middle of nowhere.   When I was working in Idaho you would pass through a town that was 90 miles or more from anything else.   It would be a "real" sort of place with a couple of churches, hardware store, diner, etc, with nothing around for miles.   Always wondered how they survived economically. 

The Caddy is cool.  I like his reference to other cars that have zero to do with what he is selling but, still a 3 window is always worthwhile.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AzBob said:

And as stated previously is in the "middle of nowhere." :)

Back when there were such things, I lived in an area of California that received the Reno NV phone book. It was a decent sized book, probably about an inch think. The thing was...it was Reno, but ALSO the whole state of Nevada, except Las Vegas! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Drove through there about 10 times a few months back. Will go through there again. Would not want to live in Wells NV, Jack Pot and Twin Falls are not to far north. South to Ely is a long straight boring road to drive. There is a reason we set off nukes out in that area. Just nothing out there, until you get to the alien beef jerky place.🫣

C35550A9-9E46-4A5E-BD85-71A9FC652B03.jpeg

• Like 5

Nevada impressed me with the starkness of the landscape, so monotonous along I-80, the sight of the next town a relief.  California has its share of starkness, Death Valley is aptly named, but the creepiest place I've ever seen and felt was the Panamint Valley. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Nevada impressed me with the starkness of the landscape, so monotonous along I-80, the sight of the next town a relief.  California has its share of starkness, Death Valley is aptly named, but the creepiest place I've ever seen and felt was the Panamint Valley. 

Next time try "the Loneliest Road" US 50 E-W across Nevada.  Once would have been enough, but I've done it twice so far.  About seven mountain (small) ranges to cross, with about 30 miles of flat between them.  Keeps you awake when towing a trailer 🙂 

• Haha 1

Been there, a long time ago. Actually, I was born in Elko, the big town West of Wells. Wells for about a hundred years has been a place nobody goes to. People go "through it" and keep going another 500 or more miles! Its name comes from the fact that there were water wells there back during the Westward migration in the mid 1800s. It was for many people the place that if you missed it? You might die.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Been there, a long time ago. Actually, I was born in Elko, the big town West of Wells. Wells for about a hundred years has been a place nobody goes to. People go "through it" and keep going another 500 or more miles! Its name comes from the fact that there were water wells there back during the Westward migration in the mid 1800s. It was for many people the place that if you missed it? You might die.

I see train tracks and side rails.  So the train go through.   I also see the truck stop.  I see a little farming.  I'm wondering what else keeps it alive?

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I see train tracks and side rails.  So the train go through.   I also see the truck stop.  I see a little farming.  I'm wondering what else keeps it alive?

A.J.:

Mining at some scale for various minerals, some rare, support a good share of the economy in the otherwise desolate stretches.  The railroad line is one of the major East-West routes to the San Francisco Bay area.  Of course, I-80 is that for over-the-road trucking.  Ranching/farming only where water resources are available which is scant.  Government installations take up the remainder.  Folks have to love or at least tolerate living in such a barren, harsh environment for employment in those endeavors. 

""the Loneliest Road" US 50 E-W across Nevada"

I've heard about that section of US Highway 50 from my old college friend who had relatives living in Fallon, Nevada.  He related their family experiences traveling that road on trips from Denver where he lives.  In the 1960's-'70's, one had to be sure to have the gas tank full, extra water and provisions in the event of a breakdown.  In the pre-A/C days, it was a brutal, monotonous trek.

Steve  

• Thanks 1

Here is some trivia of the area of Nevada either along the present I-80 or Hiway 6-50, more commonly known as the loneliest Hiway in America. Many actors, wealthy and famous folks had a desire for serenity and quiet offered by central Nevada. Here is some relating information:

Bing Crosby, who owned the PX ranch north of Elko in the late 40’s and 50’s. His registered brand was the Cross B (+B). 

Actor Jimmy Stewart owned the Winecup Ranch and the brand of the same description, north of Wells.

Hoot Gibson owned a ranch and the D4C iron (must have been a social problem).

Other ranch/brand owners of note include:

E.L. Cord, an entrepreneur who among other things built the now classic Cord automobile.

Max Fleischman, after whom the college of agriculture at the University of Nevada was named. 

Actors Rex Bell and Clara Bow, whose son Rex Bell Jr. (deceased) was the former District Attorney for Clark Co. (Las Vegas).

Joel McCrea, western movie star who had a ranch in Ruby Valley, Elko County.

I live on the Utah end of the loneliest Hiway in America and also like my "elbow room" and am happy to live and stay here. It is common to see road signs like "Next services 87 miles". (My home to the Eastern State line of Nevada). As a kid my father, for several years, did summer contract haying on Ranches that covered the central area of Nevada, places like Snake Valley, Spring Valley, Ruby Valley and desolate area such as the barren area south of Eureka. I did have an interesting bunch of experiences that I now cherish. I spent time on a huge ranch just down the road from the Joel McCrea ranch in Ruby Valley. As an antique auto buff, even at a young age, I noticed that the mining areas of Nevada had more money and quality automobiles than the farm country where I lived. Each of these towns have a mining history. Ely, Ruth, Eureka, Austin and finally Fallon. Those are the towns you will drive through on on Hiway 6-50. Note, just past the eastern State line of Nevada, the route will take you past Baker, the home of Lehman's Cave, then past the new Great Basin National Park. Both are worth the drive. Back on the subject of antique automobiles and particularly the Cadillac subject of this forum chat. I would be willing to venture a guess that this car originated in one of the mining towns either along I-80 or on 6-50. 

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Back to the car posted above, I find myself drawn to these kinds of projects. I hate to see them left in this state and I want to save them all.  I’ve seen this one advertised before but I can’t remember where. It was a while ago. Who knows how long it’s been sitting there?

I see a lot of potential but even more work and a ton of money. I don’t know what these go for but I wouldn’t touch it for even half the asking price. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can clear up a few Questions ; First Wells NV I am glad you think its in the middle of nowhere; It might seem so but Salt Lake City is 180 miles away to the east if you like a big city ; Wells has the greatest cross road in the Country Highway 93 and Interstate 80 all the snow birds from Canada have to go through here and anyone heading from the east to the west have to pass through at one time before the Interstate cam through all small towns like this were busy we had 17 gas stations and 2 car dealers here Ford and GMC ,ALL GONE NOW  ; 2nd the car i can clear up questions it was bought in 1972 by a Gentleman in Wheatland Ca ( by Sacramento) he got it in Auburn Ca no idea how long it was there I have had it Yes i own it about 3 or 4 years it was in pieces not the drive train or the body but things like the running boards fenders lights ect after thinking about the car for a long time my friend Dan that has a good eye came up with this conclusion when you look at the car the Gray what looks like primer is Really Paint All the gray is solid and the Black is also but some of it came from another car we at first could not figure out Why the B pillar was cut just above the door it was solid as the day it was made and we had a pile of rotten wood not attached to it for patterns for the missing pieces for the top This at one time probably was a parts car to fix a V12 or a V16 the roof would fit but not the hood the Door Bottoms they were off also  are the only thing Rusted on the car probably from the V16 the cherry picked the car when it wasn't  worth much in the day; they Fixed another car just like a Body Shop would do today grafted the top onto another car ( I do it have a body shop Don's Customs here in Wells ) and a  side Note as out of the way as it Seems I Have Sold Cars Of my lot to France Australia New Zeeland  England And from Boston to California from passerby's have a picture of the B Peller Cut Thank You for your Comments  about the car

IMG_20240327_102037241_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

My first car was an identical 1931 Cadillac Series 355A Sport Coupe. Got it when I was 13. Took me two years to make it run. Photo below is me and my father taken on 1989. It was my only drivable Classic for ten years. Over time I ended up with a dozen 31 355A's. Fun cars. At last count, there are 6 or 7 known....and the subject car would add one more to the list. Sold mine about 15 years ago to Europe. Who ever buys this project, reach out to me, as I still have ALL my spare parts. Ed

IMG_5970.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Its a cool car, but I have enough projects right now. I do wish you the best of luck with the sale. As far as location, I am 40+/- miles from Baltimore, about the same to Philly, maybe 60 or so from DC, 120 miles will get me to NYC or Richmond, so yes as far as Im concerned Wells NV may as well be in the middle of nowhere, Sorry no offense meant.

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

My first car was an identical 1931 Cadillac Series 355A Sport Coupe. Got it when I was 13. Took me two years to make it run. Photo below is me and my father taken on 1989. It was my only drivable Classic for ten years. Over time I ended up with a dozen 31 355A's. Fun cars. At last count, there are 6 or 7 known....and the subject car would add one more to the list. Sold mine about 15 years ago to Europe. Who ever buys this project, reach out to me, as I still have ALL my spare parts. Ed

IMG_5970.jpeg

Whoever is thinking of buying this project car would be way better off talking to Ed about his old car, fly to Europe with fists full of money buy Ed’s car no matter what the price, ship home and I think you would come out ahead by leaving this one in Nevada😃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This was my 32 V12, drove it 17,000 miles in the 5 years we had her.

She was a favorite that I parted with for another interest, looking back not one of my wisest decisions.

Last I  new it was in Germany.

Hope someone saves this 31! They are great classic cars to drive even when rough around the edges.    

image.jpeg.8f2cf4b85a14f2175f92ca64772c4201.jpegimage.jpeg.48d20d374866499649f3a36fdc1bfbd9.jpeg

• Like 3