Lower control arm won’t take grease

Hello everyone. Now that the no charge problem we had is solved, with the installation of a very old Delco Remi voltage regulator, it’s time to address the lower control arm zert that won’t take grease. I’ve checked the zert and it is  not blocked up. I’ve tried using a Grease Buster tool with penetrating oil to no avail. I’ve hammered on the joint but still no luck. I’m thinking about adding heat to the joint to try to melt the hardened grease. The zert is on a hex shaped 1 1/4 inch cap, which brings me to my question. If I jack the weight of the car off that control arm, would it be prudent to mark the current position of the cap in relation to the control arm, then loosen the hex cap to try to get it to take the grease.  If it takes the grease, I could then tighten it up to its original position.  If it doesn’t to the trick, next week I will remove the lower control arm and do what needs to be done. Advice, suggestions, experiences, and pitfalls to consider will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

F104A07D-28D8-4770-8E8D-D1DE30FFDA7A.jpeg

In similar instances I have put the car on jack stands with suspension relaxed, put as much pressure as possible with a grease gun and then heat with a torch. I would avoid overheating the arm as that's not a throw away part. If that doesn't work remove cap and dig out hardened grease.

I am assuming that you have removed the zerk and dug out as much old grease as possible.

• Like 3

Your right, I did remove the zert and dug out the grease. I will try pressure on the grease gun while heating up the joint. I wouldn’t think it would take too much heat to melt the grease. So if I understand what your saying, I would be ok to remove the cap while the front end is on jack stands with the suspension relaxed. 

Got grease into the lower control arm on my 40 Buick. Took the weight off of the front suspension, loosened end grease cap about two turns. Applied heat with a heat gun and applied grease. Grease finally went into the joint.  I think I have the grease cap where it was, my marks kind of got lost from the wrench. Wish I would of used a punch and marked it instead of using an awl. I think I just marked the paint. 

• Like 2

As I was tightening the cap, I noticed that the edge of the cap that is against the lower control arm, was starting to tear away. Stopped and backed it off a tad. Looking at the marks on the zert end of the cap that was on the photo I previously posted, I believe it’s about where it was when I started.  I will inspect it every time I grease it. 

• Like 1