Skylark Engine Swap

Could someone please advise a practical V-8 engine and transmission swap into a stock 6 cylinder 1964 Skylark Special. Thanks for your help. [color:"red"]

[color:"blue"] A Buick 350 from the 70's would be excellent. For the not so pratical a Buick 455 would even be better. Have seen a 65 Lark at the GS Nats with a Turbo Regal engine and transmission which is an excellent package for this light car.

I guess it depends on what you are looking to do with it. An early 350 or 455 will certainly turn the heads. There are hundreds of possiblities...from stock to insane

Having had 6 buicks with 455's i have to say they haul..

But they like the gas station...

Another thought would be a TPI 350 and the 4L60/4L80 overdrive auto. These came in rear wheel drive Roadmasters/Caprices/chevy/ gmc trucks camaros/firfirds ect. also the GM richamond T-5 5 speed would be another tranny option,

A donor car can sometimes provide all the basic stuff you need. (computer/harness tranny/engine ect) GM offers retro fit kits for older cars to add late model tech to your ride. (engine/computer packages) While they are not cheap, they do let you take advantage of technology.

Then there is also the Caddy northstar and the Grand national turbo-v-6.....

So i guess it all depends on what you want the car to do, to look like, the image you are looking for and how much $$$/time you can put into it....

Also don't through out the 4.1 buick v-6.. my son runs one in an 80 luv. it has a basic rebuild, a small elgin cam, Weiand intake and headders. he runs consistant 14.25's with a 700 r4 auto and the stock 4.56 rear end.

My wife has a 95 roadmaster with the tpi 350. It gets 25MPG and my wife eats most of the eurocar kids for lunch. It's blasted 17.34's

As I remember, the stock 6 in the Skylark was nothing to laugh at... so the options are endless...

HAPPY HAULING..

BUHOG1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Another thought would be a TPI 350 and the 4L60/4L80 overdrive auto. These came in rear wheel drive Roadmasters/Caprices/chevy/ gmc trucks camaros/firfirds ect. also the GM richamond T-5 5 speed would be another tranny option,

BUHOG1 </div></div>

PLEASE, I think there are enough CHEVY small block powered cars in the world! puke.gif

A late model 231 V6 would be a natural with plenty of power. The late V6 is NOT an old out of date odd fire like the original. You could also put a 300 like my Skylark has, plenty of power, parts are easy to get.

The 350 <span style="font-weight: bold">BUICK</span> used from around 1968 until 1977 or so would be another choice.

I personally would go with the late 231.

Anything, but a Ch...Ch.....Che....Chevy, I can barely say it without loosing my dinner. shield.gif