1948 Packard Super 8 Custom Deluxe - $6,000 OBO

Could be a relatively "driver" (depending on mechanicals) more pics in ad 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/altadena-1948-packard-super-custom/7722330172.html

All Original Flat Head 8 Clean Throughout  Rust Free Body Complete $6000 OBO

626 61six one nine one two

00b0b_5SHEP52XrBt_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00j0j_j7uvfOrKRKh_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00J0J_gQ8lSCklkSX_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00y0y_exYwuFqoim8_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg01515_c03015AEVka_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00U0U_iVRGavCFRNO_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

It's a top-of-the-line 22nd Series, 1948 Custom Eight Touring Sedan, 127" wb, nine-main-bearing 356 c.i. straight eight.  The high-quality original interior is a major plus since it's so costly to recreate.   Notice the headliner seams run longitudinal which is also unique to the Custom.  

Yes, the styling is an acquired taste.  What looked modern and streamlined to the eyes in 1948 is bulbous to us now seventy plus years on.  

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I used to think that these were pretty ugly. Recently I watched an old movie called "Impact." where the star drove a white convertible of this type. Seeing it as a new car driven in traffic and noting the positive glances and responses that it got from pedestrians and others, put the styling into perspective. This example looks very intact, but I would have inflated the tires before I took the pictures! 

One of the least attractive Packards on the exterior, (tough call between this and a '58...?) but love the interior.  Looks very original.  Worth saving due to being an upper crust model.

/////

After looking at pics of some '58's.- I'd take a '58 over this.  

Edited by cjmarzoli (see edit history)

I have mixed feelings.  I like the interior it's in very nice shape except the sun beaten dashboard.  I don't care the exterior design.  However it's the nicer model with the 8 cylinder. it looks pretty sad in the pictures with it being dirty and tires deflated!  At some price it may be worth buying and getting it back on the road...  The dangerous thing is this car is located about 10 minutes away from my other cars. I wonder what a set of new tires, oil change, tune up with a brake check and cut and buff would take?

1 hour ago, K8096 said:

While I like these and think this one is worth saving, look at the battery in the engine photos.  I don’t think this car has run since the 1960s or 70s.     

image.png.a7cba94a5aac5daf3178a2b848ee26ab.png

Might be a diamond in the rough or just plain glass.  Check out the pictures closely (broken windshield), engine compartment, rear bumper, interior dash and window trim and apparent dents on the hood and driver's side front fender. Unless the fender skirts are under the junk in the trunk, they appear to be missing. Otherwise, it looks solid.  At $6k, though, someone would have to really want to spend the time and $$ to get it back in the road in a presentable manner.

00G0G_8NVvh8gDRj6_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00g0g_cyOkPbjpngL_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00D0D_l2uYL22blay_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00E0E_483BmsLj1ZA_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Generally, I'm not a fan of anything with 4 doors unless the top goes down. Especially not a fan of late 40's cars. However, I kind of like this car. Hope it finds a home. I have no idea what the value of a nice on frame restoration would be, but, I see a lot of chrome and from experience a lot of money. 

Having owned and restored a 1948 Packard, yes mucho chrome = mucho $$$. Most of the rest of the cosmetic restoration I did myself and still got buried in the car. However….the public reaction to seeing the car after finished made the effort very worthwhile. I personally love the 22nd/23rd series Packards, always wanted a Custom 8 but …..not this one.

• Like 1

Well after seeing these latest pictures any enthusiasm I had to even go look at it is gone. It seems the car has been utterly neglected for years!

• Like 1