'56 CC Engine Noise

RO

Geoff, I got the email through the site and replied, but I also had two emails to your direct adreess that were returned. In my case, I'll check out my profile tonight as we changed servers maybe a year or so ago and I bet I did not update the profile at this site. That 25 psi is all I am getting after startup unless I really rev. it up and it'll got to 40 psi for a few seconds. Maybe late this month we can get back to it. Glad Kanter has the standard.

• 2 weeks later...

TO ALL OF OF THE 55 & 56 Packard owners in the forum: While getting my oil changed yesterday at the local garage, I picked up the latest edition of MOTOR AGE. One atrticle caught my attention about a Jeep haveing low oil preasure, I thought of you fellows with the oil pump problems and low oil preasure. When the opil was changed in the Jeep which had 39,00 miles on it, the oil preasure dropped to 7lbs. They put a master gauge on to confirm the low oil preasure. The dealewr ship installed a brand new oil pump this did nothing to cure the low oil preasure probeln. Turns out they where losing oil preasure because of bad cam shaft bearings. They tore the engine down and replaced the cam shaft bearings and kept the new oil pump. THAT CURED THE PROBLEM OF LOW OIL PREASURE. Another fact that I do know is that if run heavier motor oil like 40 weight you will also increase oil preasure. I am only a back yard mechanic but I hope what I have posted might help some of you fellows.

I have heard of at least a couple instances of 40W and even 50W oil being used and indications of maintaining better oil pressure; perhaps that would be ok in a warm climate. We had several pre-1935 Packards here last week for the 58th annual Glidden tour and as far as I know, none had any problems during the 5-day, ~ 600+ miles event.

• 2 weeks later...

On the oil pressure problem -- When the post-war Lincoln v-12's were still relatively abundant, I heard that they tended to wear out quickly. The word was that the cam shaft bearings wore quickly and were not usually replaced when the other bearings were. The oil pressure stayed low and a whole new set of bearings was required in relatively short order. Maybe the last post is the answer.

Bernardi

• 1 month later...

Word from the shop today. All mains are wiped out but #5 and to such a degree the crankshaft is scored. So much for the "engine was rebuilt, driven 100 miles with no trouble and parked in the barn." The shop is now trying to get an estimate from a local auto machine shop to grind the crankshaft and it seems they chose the one I would have gone to. At least in the interim, the car is inside a building as winter approacheth.

Yes, pretty bizarre history (or I should say lack of) on this car. Not the engine in the car originally, so all traceability lost. The crankshaft is supposed to be pulled out in the next few days. In searching the popular vendors, I find EGGE has mains .01, .02, .03, and .04 delta size while others have perhaps just a couple sizes supposedly available. I used EGGE for my Hornet a couple years ago and was pleased. So, with the availability of those four sizes, hopefully the machine shop can grind the crankshaft to match.

Guest Randy Berger

RO, see if the shop will weld up the throws and grind back down to std tolerances. This is not a forged crank normally although Packard did make a forged crank later for the V8s.

YFAM, Randy Berger

RO,

Very low oil pressure can ruin a new set of bearings in less than 100 miles.

From my own experience:

I do mechanical work on Corvairs as a part time job. On a rebuild I installed a freshened crank with new bearings and a new oil pump. After a couple hundred miles a faint rod knock developed. I opened it up and found all the bearings wiped out, some much worse than others. I asked my machinist what could've happened? He said that if I didn't adequately clean the oil cooler, which is between the pump and the bearings, old trash could get loose and accumulate in the cooler passages and cause a bad restriction. The pressure sending unit is on the pump side so you think that you have excellent oil pressure. He told me that another customer went through two cranks before the cooler was replaced and the problem was solved. He had one of the cranks in his shop. He is a real packrat. The crank was chewed up beyond machining. It supposedly had only 40 miles on it.

The engine that I had rebuilt was low mile but was stuck from sitting for years. I neglected to soak the cooler in carb cleaner like I usually do. I probably just blew some carb cleaner through it. I fixed the engine on my dime. "Live and learn!"

The moral is: make sure your oiling system is super clean on your whole engine when your investing in $$$ parts and machine work.

Another thought on wiped bearings -- In an early post you mentioned draining 6 quarts when the capacity was only five. Check the diaphram on the fuel pump. On one of my cars the oil level rose and smelled of gasoline. Turned out that the fule pump was pushing fuel into the crankcase. I was lucky - it didn't cause any harm before I lucked on to it. A new pump fixed everything.

Good luck.

Bernardi

This oil pressure/oil pump experience might be worth noting:

I had a '73 Opel Manta with the stout little 1900 cc engine. It was a "cam in head" design that compromised between an overhead cam and pushrods, basically eliminating the pushrods by having the cam actuate the lifters directly, and the lifters in turn acuate rocker arms. Neat design, but they had a rep for top end oiling problems that caused lifter clatter.

My dad rebuilt the engine, including a new cam. Oil pressure was improved and lifters were quiet--for a few thousand miles. Then, lifter noise again! So one day I'm driving down the freeway and start laying down an oil slick. On inspection, oil was leaking from a tiny hole in the oil pump face plate, which was externally mounted on the front of the engine.

I replaced the worn aluminum face plate on the pump--guess what? INSTANT OIL PRESSURE like never before! Was I mad I didn't know this during the re-build. There was obviously some damage done in the top end, and probably premature cam wear, but, like I said, it was a stout little mill and managed to survive without another overhaul. If the face plate hadn't developed the leak, I'd probably still be wondering why I never got enough oil pressure out of it. A ten minute job and a cheap replacement part were all it needed. I think you call this live and learn?

Some interesting notes. And I guess it is entirely possible the original pump was faulty and the person that indicated the engine had been rebuilt said the oil pump had not been replaced. The fuel pump is ok but I changed it out anyway but did not need to. "Slight" oversight and mis-disagnosis in that the firewall-mounted resistor wire had broken right at the screw and I failed to note that until after doing all those other things you do when the car will not start. I believe the extra quart was indeed oil and it was to remedy (or "hide") the oil problem. If only the car were originally equipped with a real gauge and instead of the cheap light, we would have had some early insight into it. For sure, the oil pan, pump, etc. will now have experienced four cleanups once this thing is done.

Well, at least it will be clean... I hope it turns out well. I suppose you can drive it year-round down there, which must be a good motivator. We have about six feet (just kidding) of snow here in MN, so my IROC sleeps in the garage.

I haven't seen it mentioned on this forum, but when my dad rebuilt the 352 in our 400, he milled the heads for more compression. It worked. I'm not sure how much was planed off, but I seem to recall 1/8"! I suppose with all that metal in these engines, it was possible.

Keep us posted on developments.

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrection under way.....maybe. Crankshaft at the machine shop and the engine will need 20 under mains and 10 under rods. Thought it would have been worse than that. Timing belt loose and water pump leaking, so we'll put new ones on. Power steering pulley is broken and thus far I have yet to locate one. Packard Ranch will probably have it, but the guy is away from his place a lot. Anyone know a source from a power steering pully? Appently this one just cracked and broke into.