Bobblehead dogs, when popular?

ia-k

Talking with a group of fellow car guys about aftermarket car accessories and someone mention the bobble head dog that, I guess, sat on the rear package shelf of cars. I mentioned that when I was younger my much older cousin had one (a dachshund) that sat on a shelf by the door of their house and I would "pet" it when I came in or left watching the head bob up and down or side to side. I remember it being about 12" long and 4-5" high.

So when (if ever) were these bobble head dogs popular? 

47 minutes ago, ch1929 said:

My Grandfather had a Hula Girl that danced in the back window of his 62 Impala

I was watching the trans am racing at Sebring this past weekend. One of the drivers had a hula girl on his dash!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Reynard said:

Bobbleheads for Car Dashboard, Cute Resin Bobble Head Dogs Car Dashboard Decorations, Dog Ornaments Puppy Shaking Head Toy...STOBOK Dog Shaking Head Toy Car Bobble Doll Dashboard Car Interior Decorations Dachshundone 

One of the Gas Station companies in is Germany offered the Bobble Head Dachshund pictured above until the 1980's.

I got one and he rode all over the USA, on the dashboard of our motor home, nodding at the traffic.   I'm sure it's still here

someplace,

• Like 2

15 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Late 1950s-early 1960s. Some had eyes that lit up.

I remember bobble head dogs into the '70's and '80's. Maybe a little later even. Of course, we are behind the times around here. 😄

People put all sorts of stuff on the dash and rear shelf of cars.  Some give rise to little ditties like:

I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I got my plastic Jesus, glued to the dashboard of my car.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimm63 said:

People put all sorts of stuff on the dash and rear shelf of cars.  Some give rise to little ditties like:

I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I got my plastic Jesus, glued to the dashboard of my car.  

I can't get in to a crash,

Got Mother Mary on my dash.

Toilet Paper Wars - Cape Girardeau History and Photos

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 5:34 AM, ch1929 said:

My Grandfather had a Hula Girl that danced in the back window of his 62 Impala

A buddy of mine had always wanted an authentic one of those so we all pitched on Daliela for him. 

I've never seen her on his dash to this point....

image.png.81c7430ec1d323c3b4c4551a0eea2ffb.png

• Haha 2

IMG_1463.jpeg.869bf6f2d0aac91b68c0b5558952ef33.jpegHere are my hula dancers from my collection. The one on the left is from the 1960s bought at a Hawaiiana store in Honolulu. The other 2 are contemporary IMG_1464.jpeg.bcc78016dbde60643705a259818a98ce.jpegThe modern hula dancers on the dash of my 53 Packard Clipper Sportster