Latest scam

I received this scam email regarding a car I have posted for sale. Beware!!!

I am sorry for the delay, I received a text that my husband fall from work and he was been rush to the hospital, after several test, they discovered he has a cancer and I was out of town due to this. I would like to inform you that the check was mailed out by my assistance but I discovered that he has overpaid you. You have nothing to worry about, I can trust you with this, when you receive the payment, go ahead and deposit it in your account and when it clears, you will take out the amount we agreed on and I will tell you how to handle the rest balance while I make arrangements for the pickup, am willing to add additional $50 for your time, while the balance would be send to the shipping company, Thanks and God bless.

Rgds

Kathy Abrams 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The one doing the rounds in Australia at the moment is a SMS notifying of a delivery that could not be made and links to a fake site that appears to be the Post Office and then wants private data entered.

They try to sneak all sorts of tricks into their bag to swindle us. Vigilance and verification from the "official" sources is the only safe way.

Steve

• Like 2

Nothing new here. Cash directly handed to you by the buyer is the safest thing followed only by a direct bank to bank wire transfer followed by a certified check that has had time to clear the buyers bank before the car is picked up. 

If the purchase isn't made by one of the above methods DON"T DO IT!!!

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Fordy said:

The one doing the rounds in Australia at the moment is a SMS notifying of a delivery that could not be made and links to a fake site that appears to be the Post Office and then wants private data entered.

They try to sneak all sorts of tricks into their bag to swindle us. Vigilance and verification from the "official" sources is the only safe way.

Steve

I had a few of these around the holidays. We dont order online a lot and I am aware of all packages to be received. I think if someone gets multiple deliveries a week or even in a day can get confused, when they see something is being delayed needs more attention etc. then they will open this stuff up. Mine all went right to the bin.

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Kathy's "Assistance" does not have grammer or spell check either.   Is she in Nigeria?

I was told that they leave the grammar bad on purpose, figure if someone is not smart enough to figure out its wrong they are ripe for the picking? 

• Haha 1

I especially like the ones standing at the street devide by a stop light holding a sign with “God Bless”. My favorite was a guy I saw drive into the grocery lot in a 2022 3/4 ton, park and walk out to the devide with his cardboard sign. I told him “Nice Truck”. He said he didn’t know what I meant and that wasn’t his truck. So I replied, cool, then you won’t care if I key the side. THEN HE GOT UPSET and told me he was gonna kick my butt!!!

I told him “God Bless!”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

This is an old scam Just being revived. It works like this. " I advertised my car for sale, asking price 10 000 dollars. The scammer offers me 14 thousand  instead. He mails me a genuine looking certified check for 14 thousand dollars, I deposit it in my bank. ( the bank holds payment for a week) " I am sending a tow truck to pick up the car tomorow. You will give the driver 2 000 dollars cash he says on the phone. You will keep the rest. (I will be  getting 12 thousand for a 10000 car)? Great deal. Do you remember you advertised the car for sale 10 000 ? Well 12 thousand looks like a great deal. So the scammer comes and picks up the car, you give him 200 thousand hard cash. After a week the bank calls you and gives you the good news. " the check is fake. You a charged 28 dollars bank processing fee. So in the end you lost your car plus 4000 thousand hard cash and 28 dollars to the bank. The word 'God bless ' is a clue to scams. NIGERIAN SCAM it is called in Canada

But GREED in humans is ever present . Any time a bargain looks too good to be true  it is too good to be true. Cheapness at first is sweet but leaves a bitter taste for a long time.    

I am a product of British Colonial. My education is controlled by Oxford and Cambridge University , the exact same as the students in England. The English language syllabus for the African countries  were of a lower standard. Notice their grammar , spelling, sentences. A give away. Another clue is they are always apologetic. 

22 hours ago, dodge28 said:

This is an old scam Just being revived. It works like this. " I advertised my car for sale, asking price 10 000 dollars. The scammer offers me 14 thousand  instead. He mails me a genuine looking certified check for 14 thousand dollars, I deposit it in my bank. ( the bank holds payment for a week) " I am sending a tow truck to pick up the car tomorow. You will give the driver 2 000 dollars cash he says on the phone. You will keep the rest. (I will be  getting 12 thousand for a 10000 car)? Great deal. Do you remember you advertised the car for sale 10 000 ? Well 12 thousand looks like a great deal. So the scammer comes and picks up the car, you give him 200 thousand hard cash. After a week the bank calls you and gives you the good news. " the check is fake. You a charged 28 dollars bank processing fee. So in the end you lost your car plus 4000 thousand hard cash and 28 dollars to the bank. The word 'God bless ' is a clue to scams. NIGERIAN SCAM it is called in Canada

But GREED in humans is ever present . Any time a bargain looks too good to be true  it is too good to be true. Cheapness at first is sweet but leaves a bitter taste for a long time.    

I often see Mike and Frank upping offers to people that don't know what they have.

Scam Update!!!

I took the check to the bank it was drawn on and they said it was a fraudulent check but written on a real account. They confiscated the bogus check. They said that the account had unknowingly been compromised and that the bank would take appropriate action. So even though I suffered no loss, a woman in a different state may have taken a real loss if the perpetrators had written other checks against her account. I glad to know I may have saved another person a financial loss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2