1957 mercury montclair - $21,000 (Greeley CO)

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/greeley-1957-mercury-montclair/7720790165.html

A 1957 mercury montclair phaeton 2 door coupe. 368 cubic inch turnpike engine automatic transmission with push button controls. This classic car is almost completely original including interior and chrome. I installed lap seat belts in the front and back seats. New solenoid starter, new voltage regulator and new temperature sensor recently installed as well. Brakes are pretty good also carburetor kit installed this car runs great. $21,000. Call: Donald (970) 690-9810

00W0W_3NW5P6kcaeV_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00t0t_iohytcBUq0Y_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00606_qcAzTuTOFj_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00M0M_3H414CHLQ7l_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00101_8ccZ6mlURpc_1AI27C_1200x900.jpg

• Like 3

IMO 1957 was the high-water mark for automobile design. this is a nice example of the attractive cars of 1957. Looks like that padded dash could use some attention and the paint looks to be original. The mirror mounted on the fenders are a cool touch and if that is original interior, it has held up well. GLWTS

Cool car. Someone please educate me on engine options for 1957 FoMoCo, though. The valve cover studs make me think it's a Y-block, but 368 c.i.? Was that the Lincoln Y-block? Was that an option for Merc in '57?

Were standard Ford style Y-blocks also available in '57 Mercs? As an old Mercury owner, I should know this, but I don't.

The standard engine for Mercury in 1957 was the 312 advertised as 255 hp. The 368 was an option with 290 hp.

I still prefer the single headlight version of the 57 Mercury. The dual headlights look tacked on to me. Other than that looks like a pretty nice car.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 1

Thanks Lew. Here's an article with a little bit more info on the 368, which was apparently borrowed from the Lincoln (though still a "Y-block.") I think the Lincoln Y-block had a better reputation than the Ford version, though many of the Ford Y-blocks provided good reliability and power for FoMoCo vehicles over the years.

Apparently, the new generation redesign of the Mercury in '57 was intended to distance the car more from the Ford line (i.e. move it more upscale) so a Lincoln engine was offered, but it wasn't until '58 that the MEL engine was introduced, so in '57 they used the Lincoln Y-block. As far as I can determine, that was the only year that type of engine was used in a Mercury. That help explains why I wasn't familiar with that option.

Below the Hood: 1957 Lincoln Premiere's 368 V-8 was a smooth, spirited powerhouse with ample torque | Hemmings

I am no expert on the 368, but I do know that its design is pretty much the same as the 272, 292, and 312. Y-Blocks. The parts on those engines are not interchangeable with the 317, 341 and 368 engines. One key difference is the Lincoln engines had hydraulic valve lifters while the Ford/Mercury engines had solid valve lifters.

The biggest problem with the Ford Y-Blocks was the overhead oiling problem. If any sludge got in the oil passages it would cause the valve train to be starved for oil, not a good thing. This was mostly a problem with the ash content in the oils of the day. I have had my car for 26 years and have never had a problem with that since I have better oil and there isn’t any sludge build up.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

16 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

The biggest problem with the Ford Y-Blocks was the overhead oiling problem. If any sludge got in the oil passages it would cause the valve train to be starved for oil, not a good thing.

Saw many that had outside oilers rigged up.

• Like 2