1948 Buick Super Sedanet

I have a friends car to sell!

It's a two tone dark green with a light green top color.  It's a very solid car It's the 248 straight 8 with a 3 speed manual transmission.  The paint is lustrous but it's driver quality There is a scuff in the paint over the right headlight.  The headlights have been converted to an HD setup, however it still uses on the original 6V system.  No rust or rot.  The owner chromed the air cleaner, valve cover, spark plug cover, rear differential cover and the horn.  The interior looks pretty good except the broadcloth seat upholstery is ripped on the driver's side seat bottom. Moreover the steering wheel is cracked  The exterior chrome is in decent shape but the stainless around the windows has a bad case of acne/ as it looks like it's corroding underneath the chrome

This car has good bones and could go back to an original look without too much trouble or money spent.  The price is $19,950 obo.

image.jpeg.fea345bf5e8b4abfe60ee8108f53ebd9.jpeg

image.jpeg.636785d6cc3018cd710c42dc21e7b066.jpeg

image.jpeg.5c549493a62f0f69c17c27af91e4f5e2.jpeg

image.jpeg.f5838796be0aa0f58bb54c920a586362.jpeg

image.jpeg.a27fa45509e35a23ccafa6b53ff6a0a4.jpeg

image.jpeg.a9a7a9162b7085a7bc4d4dedbb140cde.jpeg

image.jpeg.bc69289c0591fb74dce1677d95763d94.jpeg

image.jpeg.bb383c05043833524985ccec6e5b2964.jpeg

image.jpeg.8f161f3e7409e28cf450ba388ab4eff0.jpeg

image.jpeg.8505e89bab1c014950a3dac10306ae40.jpeg

image.jpeg.fb6ea09a2b492c2fbd23a6a0a439fa84.jpeg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mikewest said:

10k too much.... the tide has turned on  the price of a  lot of common cars.

And this was never a 20K car to begin with.   It is sharp though.  Not sure if the 2 tone paint is correct, I suspect not but it looks great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cjmarzoli said:

And this was never a 20K car to begin with.

WOW, what a bold statement!! I am not sure where you're from but here in southern California it's almost impossible to find these cars for under 15.  In fact I had one of these a a few years ago it sold for about 20 grand.  This afternoon I checked some car valuation websites and range was 14 to 23 grand. 'Mikewest' said it was 10 grand too much; geez!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

To Deac's point above, these '40s GM fastbacks are really popular with the bomb/lowrider subsect.  The bomb aficionados usually keep theirs pretty stock and then bolt on lots of era-relevant accessories (not for everyone but at least they can be removed with ease). 

Great color inside and out; I don't think this one will be for sale long!

• Like 3

I recall seeing that paint scheme when they rolled out of the B-O-P Assembly Plant in Linden. I would hang on the back fence of the plant, but some of the Anchor Motor Freight 4-car haulers also drove right past our home.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2024 at 7:04 PM, deac said:

WOW, what a bold statement!! I am not sure where you're from but here in southern California it's almost impossible to find these cars for under 15.  In fact I had one of these a a few years ago it sold for about 20 grand.  This afternoon I checked some car valuation websites and range was 14 to 23 grand. 'Mikewest' said it was 10 grand too much; geez!

Great, if you can get that kind of money for this car, more power to you!  But if you want to sell it on this forum, you have to expect a pretty difficult audience.  A photo of the engine would be helpful, I think.

• Like 4

These cars are real head turners. On pictures they easily look a little clumsy, but the fastback look in real life is just amazing. I drove mine yesterday around the block. You know the surprised look of people, when they see the car, look at the driver, then press the lips together, move them upwards and nod at the same time to express their - a little jealous - appreciation? Got that all the time. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hans1965 said:

I drove mine yesterday around the block. You know the surprised look of people, when they see the car, look at the driver, then press the lips together, move them upwards and nod at the same time to express their - a little jealous - appreciation? Got that all the time. 

Hey!   I get the same reaction from people, too, whenever I drive my truck.

Rusty Old 1970 Ford F-250 No One Wanted Roars to Life After Sitting for 24  Years - autoevolution

20 hours ago, neil morse said:

Great, if you can get that kind of money for this car, more power to you!  But if you want to sell it on this forum, you have to expect a pretty difficult audience.  A photo of the engine would be helpful, I think.

I post cars for that I sell for others on here for feedback first; then for a possible sales second.  Sometimes the feedback is harsh, like saying the "car is worth 10 grand" and "these were never 20 grand cars". Sorry, but that comment was a bit much and in my opinion unfounded.  If you intend to whack someone on price that's okay but there are better ways to say it especially to someone who you know posts often!  But I can't let it bother me; thanks for your input.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 8:05 PM, cjmarzoli said:

And this was never a 20K car to begin with.   It is sharp though.  Not sure if the 2 tone paint is correct, I suspect not but it looks great.

It may or may not be a $20,000.00 car in todays market. However, over the last 15 years I have has 2 1948 Super Sedanets #1 was superior to this car, it could have been shown at Hershey--it would not have achieved a 1st Junior, but you wouldn't have been laughed off the field. That car I sold for $26,000. 9 years ago. 

#2 was inferior to this car. My car ran, drove and stopped great, but it was one of those "it needs everything" or "it needs nothing cars." Paint chipped and thin, chrome was ok , but if you paint the car it will need rechrome. Interior was a BIG step behind this car, but not smelly or terrible, water stained and tatty. That car I advertised for $15,000. and it sold in 2 weeks for 13,200. So theses cars have a good following.         I have had 2 1949 Super Sedanets as well.   If this was a 1949 it would sell for like $30,000 in 2 days to a week. 

• Like 1

The market is always regulating the price. That's simply the way it is. To start a little high is not a crime. You cannot find these cars at every corner.  The internet might make it look like this, because you can scan the world's offering in a minute, but essentially these are quite rare cars and they look amazing in real life. 

But I think this is really funny:AdobeScan27_02.2024_1.jpg.127079982e2563af901b350e6fd78728.jpg

I had a black 1948 Buick Super sedanet.  The paint was original but was worn.  The engine had recently been rebuilt. The interior had new broadcloth upholstery. The dash had been repainted and all the gauges , horn and dah lights worked.  No rust, rot or dents.  I sold it for 19 grand; that was about 8 years ago.  I was told numerous times by different people get it painted and you have a car worth 30 grand.  I looked into that and found that it was correct. Hence I put a price on this car of 20 grand on it, it may be a little high but not out of the ballpark!

• Like 3