1937 248 needs an engine rebuild

37Special

Sadly I have a compression of 60 in all cylinders except for 10 in the number 7. And not running so time for a rebuild! Anyone know of any reputable shops that would rebuild this engine for me? I'm in Utah so close would be nice but willing to travel to get this done right.  

Sorry to hear that. I have experience with an excellent machine shop on the east coast in Massachusetts. J and M machine Co., Inc 40Mt. Vickery Road Southboro, MA 01772 (508)460-0733 John

Check out their website, www.jandm-machine.com , Best of Luck to you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

37Special, you having ` 37 Buick Special, you should check out Gary W`s total rebuild of his Special, if you haven`t read it before. It`s top shelf..

Thanks! I will definitely check that out.  Haven't rebuilt one in over 20 years so I'm feeling very rusty. 

17 minutes ago, neil morse said:

Just to clarify, Gary did not do a "total rebuild" of the engine of his Special.  But I certainly agree that his epic thread is "top shelf!"

Gary`s engine, he did everything except boring the block and grind the journals of the crankshaft, they mic`d OK, and was able to keep the original main/rod bearings. He did upgrade to domed pistons. So my mistake, my "total rebuild" statement was the car, as the whole project.

3 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Gary`s engine, he did everything except boring the block and grind the journals of the crankshaft, they mic`d OK, and was able to keep the original main/rod bearings. He did upgrade to domed pistons. So my mistake, my "total rebuild" statement was the car, as the whole project.

Yes, I understand what you were saying.  I just wanted to make sure it was clear regarding what he did with the engine.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 1:32 PM, 37Special said:

I have a compression of 60 in all cylinders except for 10 in the number 7.

Did you do a 'wet' compression test - at least in #7?  If the wet test improves the result, you may get by for awhile with just a valve job.  You can inspect the cylinders once the head is off and then decide whether to go further.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, EmTee said:

Did you do a 'wet' compression test - at least in #7?  If the wet test improves the result, you may get by for awhile with just a valve job.  You can inspect the cylinders once the head is off and then decide whether to go further.

I had never heard of a wet compression test.  I had to look it up so thank you. I have not done a wet one but will try that soon.  Trying to educate myself as much as possible before tearing into this.

If the primary leakage is through the valves, adding a couple teaspoons of oil through the spark plug hole to help the rings seal should make no significant difference in the compression reading.  If compression improves by ~15 psi over the dry measurement, then rings are probably worn/weak.

• Like 4