Custom Windshield Fabrication

I was wondering if anyone has experiences or recommendations with custom windshield fabrication. I own a few Japanese Market cars, like the Honda Beat, and the one part that keeps me awake at night worrying it might someday need to be replaced is the windshield. I've seen others with similar cars have trouble finding a replacement since the cost, availability and shipping from Japan make it nearly impossible. 

Thanks

image.jpeg.c91b208431d092223a986a97d72df64e.jpeg

• Like 1

Having produced countless custom, obsolete, one-off or just rare (curved) windshields and other (curved) automotive glass for nearly 30 years, I do have some experience, but based on your criteria, I’m not sure I can help, especially if they are available, even at considerably higher cost than most windshields.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I'm willing to bet that the cost of buying and shipping from Japan will still be less expensive than having one custom made. If nothing else, the cost for the custom glass house to assume the legal liability for a DOT-compliant windshield will be enormous.

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies everyone.  Fortunately, I don't need one right now. I'm curious what others have done and want to be prepared if the inevitable happens to me. I also think if there is a viable solution, at least a dozen other people would buy one as a backup, bring the cost down to something reasonable. If need be, Larry's option is the one I'd try first. Still, finding one is a challenge. There's no NOS parts in stock. 

I don't think DOT certification is an issue. There are a few companies that claim to do what I'm looking for. I'm watching one owner, via a Facebook group, attempt to make a replacement. The company scanned someone else's pristine glass and built a new one based on the shape they captured. It wasn't even close to fitting. The cost was $4,000 with subsequent glass being considerable less.  A second company requires a mold be made by the customer.  Maybe they would make the mold if the car was brought to them. I plan to contact them to see what the options are.

TTR: I understand this isn't something you can help with, but can you elaborate on the process you went through?

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)

1 hour ago, CarNucopia said:

I don't think DOT certification is an issue.

Whether you think so or not, the company making the part will have a legal liability. If they are smart, they will pass this cost along to the customer. As for your own concerns, it's not an issue until you try to make an insurance claim. Insurance companies will use any excuse possible to get out of paying a claim. And even if there are not NOS pieces available, there are a LOT more used ones in Japan than there are here.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Whether you think so or not, the company making the part will have a legal liability. If they are smart, they will pass this cost along to the customer. As for your own concerns, it's not an issue until you try to make an insurance claim. Insurance companies will use any excuse possible to get out of paying a claim. And even if there are not NOS pieces available, there are a LOT more used ones in Japan than there are here.

I'm not claiming there isn't liability, I'm saying there are companies in the business of doing this right now. Somehow, they mitigate the liability to the extent they are willing to produce and sell the windshield.

27 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

I'm not claiming there isn't liability, I'm saying there are companies in the business of doing this right now. Somehow, they mitigate the liability to the extent they are willing to produce and sell the windshield.

I know there are companies who do this now. That isn't the point. The issue is how much is that company paying for liability insurance. Whether they choose to absorb that liability insurance cost or pass the insurance cost on to the customer is their call.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

I'm willing to bet that the cost of buying and shipping from Japan will still be less expensive than having one custom made. If nothing else, the cost for the custom glass house to assume the legal liability for a DOT-compliant windshield will be enormous.

With aforementioned nearly three decade experience, I don’t even have to take that bet.

OTOH, I recently reproduced/supplied a batch of nearly 20 identical windshields for two collectors of relatively inexpensive and common +/-50 year old American production cars for which “Made in C***a” reproductions are readily available for nearly 1/3 price of mine, but apparently for these enthusiasts quality is far more important than cheap price and both know mine is not only far superior to that “MiC”, but seem to be of an opinion mine are even better than OEM windshields are/were.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TTR said:

With aforementioned nearly three decade experience, I don’t even have to take that bet.

OTOH, I recently reproduced/supplied a batch of nearly 20 identical windshields for two collectors of relatively inexpensive and common +/-50 year old American production cars for which “Made in C***a” reproductions are readily available for nearly 1/3 price of mine, but apparently for these enthusiasts quality is far more important than cheap price and both know mine is not only far superior to that “MiC”, but seem to be of an opinion mine are even better than OEM windshields are/were.

The big problem with the imported repros appears to be that they are thinner than OEM, which causes no end of problems when fitting the stainless trim around them. On a high-end resto it is painfully obvious.

• Like 2

One option to minimize your possible need for a replacement windshield is the emerging offerings in windshield protective films. Similar to the paint and headlight protective films that lessen or prevent rock and abrasive damage, the windshield films also offer UV blocking abilities that help reduce sun damage on interiors and lowers the heat transmission into the car. One example of the windshield film is ExoShield, www.getexoshield.com My window tint/paint film shop owner told me that the windshield film isn't quite there in terms of durability for a daily driver, but will be good for a collector car that isn't frequently driven in weather requiring the use of wipers. He said that film wear in the wiper swept area is usually the failure area, the film is lasting two to three years in a daily driver-type application. I was recently quoted an installation price of $600 to do a late-model Toyota Corolla.

The windshield protective films are improving with time, so at some point I will likely get it installed on at least one of my collector cars. Besides the availability concern that the OP has, keeping an OE windshield with all of the correct markings, etc., is another concern. Nothing ruins the effect like seeing a new replacement windshield or other component prominently labeled with a country of origin that clearly didn't supply the original parts. Windshields from China, tires from countries that no one knew even produced tires, etc.

Edited by Writer Jon
spelling correction (see edit history)

5 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

The big problem with the imported repros appears to be that they are thinner than OEM, which causes no end of problems when fitting the stainless trim around them. On a high-end resto it is painfully obvious.

Thinness is often only one of many fitment concerns in “MiC” crap.

As for “resto(ration)”, I wasn’t aware of high- or low-end options.

I’ve only ever known existence of a restoration and attempts or dabbles at various repairs.

50 minutes ago, Writer Jon said:

One option to minimize your possible need for a replacement windshield is the emerging offerings in windshield protective films. Similar to the paint and headlight protective films that lessen or prevent rock and abrasive damage, the windshield films also offer UV blocking abilities that help reduce sun damage on interiors and lowers the heat transmission into the car. One example of the windshield film is ExoShield, www.getexoshield.com My window tint/paint film shop owner told me that the windshield film isn't quite there in terms of durability for a daily driver, but will be good for a collector car that isn't frequently driven in weather requiring the use of wipers. He said that film wear in the wiper swept area is usually the failure area, the film is lasting two to three years in a daily driver-type application. I was recently quoted an installation price of $600 to do a late-model Toyota Corolla.

The windshield protective films are improving with time, so at some point I will likely get it installed on at least one of my collector cars. Besides the availability concern that the OP has, keeping an OE windshield with all of the correct markings, etc., is another concern. Nothing ruins the effect like seeing a new replacement windshield or other component prominently labeled with a country of origin that clearly didn't supply the original parts. Windshields from China, tires from countries that no one knew even produced tires, etc.

Perhaps you’re not aware of the fact that adding any “films”, be they considered protective of potential damage or tinting against UV/sun light, etc on windshields and front side windows of vehicles used on public roads are technically illegal, i.e. against DOT & NHTSA (in US) and similar agencies regulations/rules in EU.

8 minutes ago, TTR said:

Perhaps you’re not aware of the fact that adding any “films”, be they considered protective of potential damage or tinting against UV/sun light, etc on windshields and front side windows of vehicles used on public roads are technically illegal, i.e. against DOT & NHTSA (in US) and similar agencies regulations/rules in EU.

Anyone buying any aftermarket accessory products or even some OEM accessories should carefully read the packaging for words similar to - Intended for Off Road or Show Use Only - followed by something like May Not be Legal in all Jurisdictions, Refer to and Obey Your Local Laws and Regulations  

• Like 1

Wow! A lot of sound advice here! I had thought to add my 2 cents, but I got nothing! 

Liability suits will always choose the deepest pockets, but YOU would never be overlooked!  Concept and Prototype and for Show Only are not what you want. Something as important as a windsheild should only be replaced with the actual article. 

However bitter that may be, those replacements are as cheap now as they ever will be.  

Larry has the right idea. I bought a wood fair ground motorcycle ( merry go round in US speak) Made in the late 1940s/early 1950s and when I checked the cost to have it shipped it was over $400. I bubble wrapped it and a friend delivered it to Heathrow airport for me and the cost for PreArraged take on baggage was $40 plus a tip to the baggage guy at the curb to wrestle it into the plane. It now sits restored in the bay window at the front of my living room . Not something one can lift and move around well until i added a base with wheels. It is about 3/4 the size of a real motorcycle.

Motorcyclewoodone.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TTR said:

Thanks, I forgot to add the caution about checking and following the law when considering using any non-original parts and/or modifications. I see so many blatant equipment and driving violations daily that getting a ticket for a clear windshield film didn't even enter my mind. But yes, it would be illegal here in California, probably in other states, too.

Thanks for all the replies. With regards to buying and shipping, that would be ideal, but very difficult. One thing I probably should have explained better is the scarcity of the parts in Japan.

The cars I'm interested in, and which are becoming popular over here, are known as "Bubble Era" cars. At the height of the Japanese economic bubble in the late '80s, manufacturers developed cars which can best be described as excesses from the era. They tended to have unusual designs and were limited production. Nearly all of them went on sale as the bubble was bursting and were sales flops. As such, total unit sales were between 5,000 and 33,000. And most were sold exclusively in Japan. I thinks it's an interesting chapter in auto history because it was a time where enthusiasts at the companies were able to create cars that made little rational sense. Inmates running the asylum, you might say.

There were three micro sports cars: With quirky kei cars, it’s easy as A-B-C

Nissan's "Pike Factory" cars: Nissan’s 4 Pike microcars are tiny Nintendo-like ’80s delights

And cars like the Toyota Sera: 1990 Toyota Sera Leaves Us Begging for More

These cars are actually well know among young enthusiasts because they were in popular driving video games developed in Japan. The survival rate with these cars is pretty high because of how unique they are.  With their growing popularity in the US, someone will need to repop windshields because there just aren't enough old ones around to satisfy demand.

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)