1940 Buick, Winter Storage.

John Podd

In the past I heard that as part of preparing car for cold storage, you should remove  the spark plugs and squirt oil in the cylinders. Is that true?

It's not imperative for 2 ~ 3 months of storage, however, as Bloo said, it certainly won't hurt.  I have used Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) for long-term storage, but regular motor oil is fine.  Only requires about a tablespoon or two per cylinder.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. But do you think adding a little oil would hamper ignition? I ask because I remember decades ago I saw in a JC Whitney catalog, an advertisement for spark plugs that would " Fire even in oil". I wonder why they would make that point if any ordinary spark plug would fire in a little bit of oil. 

Winter storage, i have never  used  oil in cylinders, but would be ok  like others have done over the years,

but  only use a small amount.

And i know this subject has been talk here   for years, but i want to mention a thing i did for years  while i lived in California, 10 years.

i had to store about  ten cars  back in New Zealand  where i was born---Invercargill it is the most southern city in NZ, and coldest and wettest.

IF your  your car is on a concrete garage floor , a real good  thing to do is  place ordinary cardboard under your classic, cardboard has a air cavity 

between the layers and is a very good conductor and  restricting the cold from coming up.

If your concrete is damp and  from new never  had  a damp proof  when made ,just lay  some black polyurethane  down first under cardboard,

IMG_2439.JPG cardboard.JPG

Edited by Wayne R
letter (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I have tarps under my cars, one car with a magnetic heater stuck to bottom of the oil pan. I use it on very cold days.

I will follow Bloo's suggestions. Thanks guys!

• Like 1