1932 Lincoln KA 505 $35,000

An interesting car.  He says he has the rims for the sidemounts.  

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/281453067994561/

This is a numbers matching Lincoln KA 505 series sedan featuring a 6.3 liter (385 CI) fork & blade flathead V8 and a coach built body by Murray. Includes two unrestored: spare tire rims, driver's side spare tire mount & rear luggage rack. The car was sold new in lower Michigan, where it began restoration, and spent most of its life, before moving to California. In the early 1990's the car was purchased by my family and is currently located in WI. Serious inquiries only, will not respond to low-ball offers or inquiries asking for lowest price. Serious buyers only.

image.png.8b28dcdc1e4e0cdf72f82c27a3594f91.png

image.png.9a36b2531888f2f186d84d0531601b18.png

image.png.83973402e8d811bfd097395a6f1fab05.png

image.png.7d45c9218043c7010b8243e43201ddfc.png

image.png.cbb77479098e5c4d3bb9b8d640c2fdbc.png 

image.png.30c90817b9dbedbda30646b7634b9034.png 

image.png.f7a3262344f40e201cc9032b008a19cb.png

image.png.d4e3f6ac81752acf7b159f3bed1dadc2.png

image.png.3d976c77a4b48cbca2f73828aa381c5f.png

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Beautiful car. Doesnt seem out of line but what do I know? If I were serious about it I think I would spring for a ticket to Matt H for his blessing, LOL.

Depends how it really looks in person.   32 is the best year in my opinion but if it is a tires restoration with needs then...

• Like 3

Look closer--there are some needs there, some substantial. Handsome colors and I could probably live with the mohair seats and broadcloth door panels. I'm guessing the front carpets were removed for battery access--no idea why they wouldn't put them back for photos. That's just leaving money on the table.

More concerning to me, however, is the fact that it has a sidemount well on the driver's side but not one on the passenger's side and there is no spare tire at all and no mounting hardware for the left side. What's up with that?

There's a bunch of little stuff, too. Body needs to be pinstriped, probably in dark red to match the wheels. Wiper arms and motors appear to be missing. One gauge is missing in the center of the dash, and the ammeter that I can see looks aftermarket. Steering wheel is pretty beat up and one of the throttle/spark/headlight levers is broken--good luck finding one of those. No escutcheons on the door hardware, but if you can find a complete matching set from a more common make/model nobody will notice they're not correct. Tires look old, so a good time to upgrade to blackwalls. No photos of the engine bay is a bit worrisome. However, if it's a runner then it would be a powerful tour car and you could chip away at the little stuff over time.

That sidemount situation would probably scare me away. But it's not an impossible problem to solve, just time and money.

EDIT: Now that I read the description, I see that the luggage rack is included, along with two unrestored spare wheels. That's better, but still kind of weird to only have one sidemount.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Matt brings up the side mount issue, which definitely seems a challenge. I can’t imagine a single side mount was an option; I assume it was a rear mounted spare or dual side mounts. So Then the question is, which is more difficult, finishing the dual side mount project and finding all the pieces including the luggage rack, or finding all the hardware for a rear mounted spare.  

I have no real idea what a KA sedan is worth, it’s a great year, but how does a KA compare to a KB with the 12?

I can shed a little light… I s/w the owner a few months ago last time he listed it.  It was his father’s car.  Was sold new with a  rear mount spare.  During or after the restoration someone decided to change it to side mount but never finished.  They discarded the original rear bumper and spare hanger, cut the left fender for a sidemount, but never finished installing the brackets.  The right fender was left undisturbed.  So, to rectify, one would need to find a new left fender without sidemount provision, or weld it up, find a replacement 2 piece rear bumper and spare hanger, OR, convert the right fender to a sidemount as well.  Either way, a lot of parts hunting.   I’m OCD so I could not live with just a left sidemount.  Would have to have 2 or none.  I believe he said he had the wipers.  He said his father had some of the front portions of the car repainted when he got it.  You can see a color mismatch between the hood and the body, and we know the left fender has been repainted after the welding.  It’s unfortunate that it was not left alone with the correct rear spare.   I ultimately decided I did not want to deal with the spare tire issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I can understand wanting sidemounts, but the decision to discard the original parts for a rear mounted spare seems unfortunate. And worse, discarding the parts before having all the parts needed to convert to dual sidemounts seems to leave it in limbo.  Would a car with sidemounts have different front springs to compensate for the weight?

Edited by DavidinCA (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I could understand a lot of nit picking to make this car perfect. For the right price I could live with a lot of the small details and like mentioned pick away at them over time. After all what fun is an old car if you just drive. One needs to do some kind of work to keep them busy whilst looking at it in the garage!! No idea on the actual value of a near perfect car, and if this one is sound mechanically then all the better. Fixing the gaping hole in the fender left there by the tire well doesnt seem like a deal breaker to me, but there is still a ton of work involved with removing the fender, first removing the well then welding a patch back in, and then painting to try and match the existing body. That to me would be about a $5000 deduct in value.

• Like 2

A single spare tire in a front fender was not uncommon in the mid to late 1920s. Franklin did that as well as other cars. it was to gain a rack at the back because of the lack of room inside the car to carry anything! By the early 1930s most cars did not offer that option because the lower profile and sleeker look just changed the whole thought process of what car would look like. When the cars were more perpendicular in height/style the rear trunk could be had and spare tire/tires added behind that but by 1931 it would have looked very awkward.  Trunks were form fitted and then spares covered in a metal cover were added by 1934-35.

• Like 5

As I have no dog in this race I'm not sure what the price is, high, average or low? Looking at the ad and trying to total up the cost to get it to this level makes it look about $35-40 % cost of resto. That's if you do a lot of the labour yourself. A turn key pre-war Lincoln this handsome for under $30k? I know it has needs but for a driver to go on a pre-war tour in style what is the right number?

Skip the judging class and nit picking using as a big comfortable driver price.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DavidinCA said:

I have no real idea what a KA sedan is worth, it’s a great year, but how does a KA compare to a KB with the 12?

The 1932 Lincoln KA was essentially held over '20's Model L/1931 Model K V8 back on a 136" wb with standard Murray-built bodies to compete in a relatively lower price segment ($3K range vs $4K+).  The magnificent Model KB Twelve was completely different; the ultimate, an over-the-top, cost-bedamned, Depression-be-ignored, idealized vision of what a Lincoln could be.  Two years was all even the vast Ford fortune could afford to subsidize before the Depression realities hit.

• Like 3

A lesson to be learned here is don't make a major change to a car without gathering all of the needed parts beforehand unless you know - without a doubt - that you can acquire them in short order.  Throwing out the rear spare parts was a major mistake and may doom this car from receiving a proper restoration.   

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

A lesson to be learned here is don't make a major change to a car without gathering all of the needed parts beforehand unless you know - without a doubt - that you can acquire them in short order.  Throwing out the rear spare parts was a major mistake and may doom this car from receiving a proper restoration.   

Yes, well that is in the past, so maybe just drive it and tinker with it instead of taking on a full blown restoration.

Agree with the faults.  Mechanical condition would be key to understand.  On the plus side It's an usable affordable Full Classic - a nice big attractive car in one of the best years - and a bit more unusual than a lot of Classics in that price range.

Might be a nice car for someone not looking for a high point car.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2