1942 Dodge dump truck

Hi! I haven’t been on here for a while, glad to be back!

I have a 1942 Dodge dump truck that would need extensive restoration. Was wondering what it would be worth as it sits. It would basically need to be restored from the ground up. Everything is original, but the radiator got stollen. Any guesstimations are welcome! I will get pictures as soon as I can. 
Thank you all!

Edited by Shelley68
Messed up on greeting (see edit history)

Looks restorable to me. I have no idea on value. Its gonna have a specialized appeal. Personally if restored and sold for the right price I wouldnt mind having it with my company logo on the side, but I def. would not put any money into a restoration. I would think that its not a good road worthy vehicle having a low range for hauling. One wont be driving it down the road at 60mph. To me this limits the audience. But truck collectors are out there and this one may hold a special place for one of them.

• Like 1

That's a flatbed that dumps, it may sell in the upper Midwest. The windshield looks to be the worst, the bottom of the doors often rust out.

Make sure when you advertise it that it is a flatbed and not the steal construction type box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shelley68 said:

It’s a 5 yard dump. Has allot of rust. 

IMG_9122.JPG

Shelley, 

If your 42 Dodge was a larger class truck with 10 lug front wheels I would buy it from you in a heartbeat; however, I’m one of a very few chasing the larger 1934 to 1947 10 lug Dodge trucks.  The 5 lug trucks larger than a pickup are a bit of an in between proposition; generally top speed is 45 to 50 mph and they aren’t often in demand from the crowd that likes updated chassis and drivetrains.

Thanks,

Kent

IMG_3807.jpeg.7a1a5fc042f901cc8989854f5b24fc5e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It has 4 speed with a 2 speed rear end & a 3 speed brownie. So it has like 30 something gears all together and did 60 just fine on the freeway. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what I can ask for it please? I’m in Washington state.

4 hours ago, kar3516 said:

Shelley, 

If your 42 Dodge was a larger class truck with 10 lug front wheels I would buy it from you in a heartbeat; however, I’m one of a very few chasing the larger 1934 to 1947 10 lug Dodge trucks.  The 5 lug trucks larger than a pickup are a bit of an in between proposition; generally top speed is 45 to 50 mph and they aren’t often in demand from the crowd that likes updated chassis and drivetrains.

Thanks,

Kent

IMG_3807.jpeg.7a1a5fc042f901cc8989854f5b24fc5e.jpeg

There used to be or maybe still a WJ/WR 1946/1947 10 bolt wheei Dodge between Benton City and Yakima Washington. Was or is a runner.

281 or 331 single carb.

Haven't heard or seen pic's of it in 10+ years.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

I do not know what the old truck market is like in Washington, but in the northeast part of the county an asking price of around $1500 would be a good place to start.  The auxiliary transmission is a big plus to truck people. ( by the way, it has 24 speeds) Good luck with it.

1 hour ago, Shelley68 said:

It has 4 speed with a 2 speed rear end & a 3 speed brownie. So it has like 30 something gears all together and did 60 just fine on the freeway. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what I can ask for it please? I’m in Washington state.

Compared to what I normally see the truck doesn’t appear to have much sheetmetal rust.  More pictures might change my opinion but minimal cab / sheet metal rust will help the price.  If the engine is free and the truck will roll I would start at $2500 and see if you get interest.  If it ran you could ask more.  Obviously won’t run now without the radiator…

Kent

• Like 2

1 hour ago, c49er said:

There used to be or maybe still a WJ/WR 1946/1947 10 bolt wheei Dodge between Benton City and Yakima Washington. Was or is a runner.

281 or 331 single carb.

Haven't heard or seen pic's of it in 10+ years.

@c49er I actually drove I-82 recently headed to Bellingham and definitely would have stopped if I had known exactly where to see the truck!  I was a long way from my Texas home…

@Shelley68  Anything around the war era are desirable because of the limited numbers as I'm sure you know, so the value will depend on many factors.

Here's a list of a few things that would help indicate it's value more appropriately

1.) Wheelbase (measure from center of front axle to center of rear axle)

2.) More photos of the bed and any dump mechanisms to see if all parts are complete. 

3.) Photos and measurements of the Stake Bed

4.) Photos of interior

5.) Photos of both sides of engine compartment

6.) Any serial tags or engine stampings will be needed for prospective buyer. 

7.) Does it have a clear title

@kar3516 (correct me if I'm wrong) based on what I'm seeing in the one photo it looks like a WD-21 133" or 135" wb with 9' bed so a range of $1500 on the low end to maybe up to $5000 depending on how complete. Also depends on how much information seller can provide, and how much a buyer may want it. If someone offers more than that it would surprise me, especially in the current market. 

If it's the smaller 120" 3/4 ton WD-15 you may see more of an audience yet still around the same value depending on condition.

If it's the larger 160" wb WF-22 maybe less of an audience and therefore possibly less $.

Really hard to tell from one photo with so little details. 

Can't tell if it has a side gate.

1942-dodge-truck-sales-brochure_1_c224642efba3a14b77c18f7f87878ea5.jpg

One a side note:

Using J. Gunnell Standard Catalog of Light Duty Dodge Trucks 1917-2002 page 50, his book mentions the combined totals for WD-20 and WD-21 were 978 units domestically, 3 units built for government, and 157 exported units. Doesn't clarify which models specifically as he seems to lump both the WD-20 and WD-21 totals together.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

@30DodgePanel I have the reference material to look it up but haven’t paid much attention to the trucks below 2-1/2 tons so I’ll defer to your expertise.   But wheelbase and a picture of the Dodge data plate (which is usually on the front of the door jamb between the hinges for trucks of this era - most often mounted on the passenger side but I’ve seen it on the driver’s side as well) would settle the issue of which model it is.  

13 hours ago, Steve S. in PA said:

I do not know what the old truck market is like in Washington, but in the northeast part of the county an asking price of around $1500 would be a good place to start.  The auxiliary transmission is a big plus to truck people. ( by the way, it has 24 speeds) Good luck with it.

Thank you very much!

This truck has five 1-1/2" lug nuts on the wheels...typical 1-1/2 thru 2 ton "W" series Dodge trucks.

Shown truck will most likely be a model WF, WG, or a WH model.

I say it's probably a WF or a WG because of the std 4 speed trans.

A WD will be a six lug nut wheel using 1" lug nuts.🙂

If that modified truck will start, run and drive @ 60 on the highways with ease that will definately help sell it.

These heavier trucks don't have any excess power especially this one being overdriven using the brownie with OD gear.

Generally 45-50 mph is tops in one of these heavier trucks with the 4 or 5 speed and 2 speed axle.

5.83/8.11 is the typical axle ratio.

Another important cost iten is the tires on this truck..either 7.50" X 20" or 8.25" X 20".

The cost to replace those tires is huge.

Brakes? Does the booster work...do they work safely?

The truck needs to be cleaned up and ready to drive to sell it.

$1500.00 max if it's not driveable on the roads/highway right now IMO.🙂

If it was a WJ/WR 10 lug.... an easy sale.

But they are very rare and hunted down trucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doesn’t seem to be major rust, but it is rusty. Headlight buckets are real solid. Most of what you see on here is moss and mold. Running boards are still solid. Tried to post what I could of pics.And we do have a legal title. One under hood picture keeps posting upside down for some reason. 

Edited by Shelley68 (see edit history)

Looks pretty rusty to me. I have a few much the same, but GMC's, and a couple of years newer 1 1945, 2 1946's . If I could get $1500.00 U.S. each I would be quite happy to sell at least 2 of them. But no one around here seems to be that eager to part with their money. I had one for sale last summer. A couple of interested people but no one even made an offer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like pretty serious rust under the door, and you might not want to climb inside the cab without a haz-mat suit. All considerations when trying to sell. Try for $1000 to $1500, but don't be surprised if it eventually ends up as scrap, IMHO.

Too bad it didn't have one of those pull-chain semaphore exterior turn signal arms. Might have been worth more than the truck.

Truckstop Classic: 1941 Chevrolet COE: Streamlining Arrives Down On The  Farm - Curbside Classicimage.jpeg.91893f81946f8b5161262d1063908232.jpeg

IMG_1324.jpeg

Engine is a later 1949-54 passenger car engine...Chrysler 251/265.

Chrysler used that aluminum oil fiter style housing.

That truck looks to be not driveable and really rusty....updated price...maybe if lucky $1000.00...and a double maybe. 😒

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

@c49er thanks for the correction on the lugs and possible model, I'm definitely not an expert on these. 

Also agree with your updated price. Very rough unfortunately. 

I also agree with the updated price.  The cab rust is a deal killer especially since the radiator is missing and the engine can’t be run.  

17 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Too bad it didn't have one of those pull-chain semaphore exterior turn signal arms. Might have been worth more than the truck.

I have one that I would sell for those numbers.

IM005286.JPG