1933 Stromberg EE3 fitting 31 Imperial

Joao46

Looks like there is a Stromberg EE3 that could potentially fit the Chrysler Imperial but the top of it is in a u shape. Were there pieces that would substitute that u piece so that the Chrysler’s air filter would fit? 

That piece is important because it contains the choke valve.

IMG_0521.png.afadec4633036eaaabbae87e4c51ecf2.png

13 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

I am not familiar with your car but I have 2 EE-3 equipped cars. Is your Imperial a down draft car?

Yes. It is downdraft.

Do yourself a favor, pass that carb. They sand blasted it because it was slump of rust. Buy a very good unit….its much cheaper in the long run. I would only give 500 for the one in the photo. Just my two cents. Unless you have a half dozen parts carbs, your gonna spend a long time making something decent out of that unit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

Ed has a point. What was original to the car?

The car has a DD3 and it’s running well. But I’ve been hearing so many negative comments on it that it is a poor, fire prone design and it requires nonexistent tools to rebuild and nonexistent diagrams to guide a rebuild that if something goes wrong I’m basically without a carburetor.

I consider myself pretty decent with carb rebuilding, having rebuilt Webers,  Single barrel Strombergs from the 50s, Carters and VW Solexes and Zenith Strombergs for British cars, plus the car we’re talking about is my dad’s and he has rebuilt many carbs including the fire prone dual quad Holleys on his ‘57 TBird and made the car purr like a kitten.

I say all that to say I’m willing to learn how to rebuild any carb but the lack of DD3 parts and info and the greater potential of finding parts and info on EE3 , plus it’s superior functionality over the DD3 has me thinking I should start scrounging parts for an EE3 appropriate to the 31 Imperial.

Dad and I plan on driving this Imperial many miles so we want to be ready. It’s not going to be a garage queen.

I have a idea, why don’t you ask Ed and CarbKing the exact same question like if this car was yours what would you do, replace or keep it, if they both agree, you have your answer, now if they disagree flip a coin , as one of them would be wrong.  Seriously when it comes to these series Strombergs the two guys I just mentioned know these units , for the most part the rest of us just guess at how this stuff works. Below is my paperweight on my desk, a late production Packard Twelve EE-3 that I had Daytona Carb restore 7 or 8 years ago

IMG_9745.jpeg

16 minutes ago, ramair said:

I have a idea, why don’t you ask Ed and CarbKing the exact same question like if this car was yours what would you do, replace or keep it, if they both agree, you have your answer, now if they disagree flip a coin , as one of them would be wrong.  Seriously when it comes to these series Strombergs the two guys I just mentioned know these units , for the most part the rest of us just guess at how this stuff works. Below is my paperweight on my desk, a late production Packard Twelve EE-3 that I had Daytona Carb restore 7 or 8 years ago

IMG_9745.jpeg

Gorgeous. Why a paper weight? Don’t you use it on a car ?

It is a conversation piece as most people under the age of 40 really don’t know what a carburetor is, real funny how older people come into my office and even if they are not mechanically inclined will be curious and ask about it.  Under the age of 50 and it must be transparent as they never ask.  To answer your question, I rebuilt a lot of components for my Green club while I was waiting for the machine shop to check out that strange little noise coming from my twelve, this is where the slippery slope goes from 10 degrees to 90 degrees.  As we all know know one is going to give you an exact rebuilding cost, however shops that have done many successfully can give you some recent examples. If the crankshaft was messed with , like welded improperly or bearings were converted to inserts improperly and possibly dealing with burnt/cracked valve seats, one could hit $70,000.00 if you hit the Loto of problems. If you are lucky and no major damage $50,000.00.  On this forum the high cost of doing the twelve has been talked about as there is always someone that says how can that be it only has 4 more cylinders so it should only cost 1/3 more than my SBC. but oh my if you just lay out the valve system with its roller cam with all of the valve silencers and needle bearings, it’s over 1,200 pieces to keep track of.  
  The overall condition on the car was really a twenty footer, so I could see a paint job and interior 💸💸.  I waited and checked out twelves as they came on the market and decided on the maroon one.  I found that the Stromberg on the maroon car had a leak under the fuel bowl at the drain plug  I believe that someone in the past over tightened the plug.  We went ahead and used my paperweight and I will have the old one rebuilt and painted and then back on my desk