Home appliances/gadgets for car restoration

Has anyone used(unbeknown to the spouse) any household appliance to aid in car restoration.I was thinking dishwasher,oven or other.My wife ordered a "water pick" that should arrive today.Hmmm,better not.Maybe hairdryer?

Oh, this is a dangerous road you're turning onto...😬

If you follow through, better budget for some new appliances.

Friend tried to cure some powder coating in their oven. His wife got a new kitchen range out of that experiment. 

I'm told dishwashers do a great job cleaning wire wheelcovers, and hairdryers/heat guns cure paint and other coatings nicely.

Just remember actions have consequences!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I haven't used it much yet but I have an old SoniCare electric tooth brush I use for cleaning small parts with.  I save the used toothbrush heads when we put on new ones every 3 months.  They also sell third party heads that are cheap enough if I needed to switch them in the shop more often.  

Regular toothbrushes are good for cleaning also and the dentist gives us new ones every time we get a cleaning.

I also have an old stick mixer on the shelf in the shop trying to decide if I can use it for something.  

A friend has more shop space an installed an old electric range and uses the oven to bake powder coating.

Wouldn't dare use anything from the house my wife wasn't done with, the camper would get old to live in fast.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our old oven was great for slow drying damp parts such as a magneto from an old JD tractor. The problem was my wife decided to bake a cake while the mag was drying out and pre-heated the oven to 375 degrees without looking inside. We soon noticed the smell of the melting components, shut down the oven and started a search for a new magneto. The oven survived OK, but the odor lingered.

Hasn't stopped me though. I cure high temp manifold paint in her new oven but only when she's out shopping and won't be back for hours.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Old speedometers have some tiny springs, and even smaller screws.

It was more out of pride in myself to improvise ways of handing these feisty little critters, with my arthritic hands, using the tweezers she used on her eyelashes, and the little brush she used to apply makeup, than fear of the whooping I could expect to get if she found out what I was using them for.

Jack

• Haha 1

Animal feeding syringes in various sizes from the pet store work well to fill shocks, steering boxes, and other small voids.  Those with curved tips are especially useful for filling shocks.

• Like 1

And of course, my favorite, cheap calf-high nylon stockings as coolant filters--install the closed toe through the upper neck of the radiator into the top tank, wrap the open end around the upper neck, held in place by the upper radiator hose.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, that's some creative thinking! Using household appliances for car restoration can definitely come in handy. A hairdryer could work wonders for removing decals or softening adhesive. Just be sure to keep it on the down-low from the spouse!If you ever run into any issues with your appliances or need some expert advice, I've found  musiccityappliance.services  to be a helpful resource. They've got a knack for solving appliance hiccups, no matter how unconventional the problem might be.Good luck with your car restoration project, and here's to keeping those appliance tricks under wraps!

Edited by millersues (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, bens39dodge said:

Wife worked for an orthodontist.. those tools for tieing wires, clipping etc are the bomb! Swiping was easy, brought her lunch and stuffed my pockets. Statute of limitation has long passed. 

My Dad use to get some of the dental picks and such from the dentist just by asking, they apparently throw them out on a regular bases. I still have some of them from when I cleaned out his shop. He got hemostats in assorted sizes, back before they were popular flea market knock offs, from the town doctor I think.  I mentioned to the woman drawing blood one time that I really liked the self sticking wrap they put around my arm when she was done, that it looked like it would be useful in my shop, she walked over to a drawer and came back with partial roll and gave it to me.

• 5 weeks later...

I've used the freezer to test A/C components to see if and how they operate before installing them on the vehicle. You know the type with the capillary tube and bulb to cycle the compressor on and off.

Just remember to inform your wife that you left it sitting in the ice cube tray before she reaches in for a cube or two. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2024 at 11:08 AM, JACK M said:

I like the Sonicare toothbrush idea for cleaning small parts, but it left a terrible taste in my mouth.

I suddenly became single in '84...it's a very dangerous condition. I thought the dishwasher might do a nice job on some valve covers.

It did OK, not not great, but it did take a few loads to have the taste and smell completely go away. 

• Haha 1