Home appliances/gadgets for car restoration

Has anyone used(unbeknown to the spouse) any household appliance to aid in car restoration.I was thinking dishwasher,oven or other.My wife ordered a "water pick" that should arrive today.Hmmm,better not.Maybe hairdryer?

Oh, this is a dangerous road you're turning onto...😬

If you follow through, better budget for some new appliances.

Friend tried to cure some powder coating in their oven. His wife got a new kitchen range out of that experiment. 

I'm told dishwashers do a great job cleaning wire wheelcovers, and hairdryers/heat guns cure paint and other coatings nicely.

Just remember actions have consequences!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't used it much yet but I have an old SoniCare electric tooth brush I use for cleaning small parts with.  I save the used toothbrush heads when we put on new ones every 3 months.  They also sell third party heads that are cheap enough if I needed to switch them in the shop more often.  

Regular toothbrushes are good for cleaning also and the dentist gives us new ones every time we get a cleaning.

I also have an old stick mixer on the shelf in the shop trying to decide if I can use it for something.  

A friend has more shop space an installed an old electric range and uses the oven to bake powder coating.

Wouldn't dare use anything from the house my wife wasn't done with, the camper would get old to live in fast.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our old oven was great for slow drying damp parts such as a magneto from an old JD tractor. The problem was my wife decided to bake a cake while the mag was drying out and pre-heated the oven to 375 degrees without looking inside. We soon noticed the smell of the melting components, shut down the oven and started a search for a new magneto. The oven survived OK, but the odor lingered.

Hasn't stopped me though. I cure high temp manifold paint in her new oven but only when she's out shopping and won't be back for hours.

• Haha 1