1924 Hupmobile model r-13 generator removal

pgb123

the Westinghouse chain driven generator needs a good overhaul. How do I remove the generator without affecting the timing chain. Can this be done as I have not worked with a timing chain until now. Any feedback will be welcomed. 

On the front of the timing cover there is a cover plate over the front of the generator gear - your car may have its engine breather there. with the plate off and the generator loose to out slack in the chain. make some wire hooks to stop the chain dropping when the generator is removed. An alternative would be to make up a round support that sits just below the chain and bolts to where you took the plate off the cover - slide that in as the generator comes out.

If you need new brushes PM me - I have had them made,

Steve

Thank you for your help, Steve. Hopefully, all will go well tomorrow! I will keep the brushes in mind. By the way, what would be a good 6 volt voltage regulator replacement for the Westinghouse one? Any suggestions?

There is no regulator - what is mounted on the generator is a cut out relay. The Westinghouse is a 3-brush unit and charging rate is adjusted by moving the 3rd brush relative to the adjacent main brush. It is usually set to suit your driving habits. Higher charge rate if you do a lot of night driving etc.

If the cutout sticks it can ruin the generator as it will try to run as a motor against the engine compression and burn it out when the engine is not running. Likewise, if it is stuck open and there is no output going to a load (battery or lights) it will also burn out the generator. I have swapped the internals on one of mine for a diode and on another R, I am running an A Ford one from Snyders.

To run a voltage regulator you will need to modify the generator so that the 3rd brush is removed and run a wire from where that brush connects to the field connection on a suitable regulator. I believe someone on this forum makes a reg that fits under the brush cover band so everything looks original - it may take some creative searching to find his posts.

I hope this helps

Steve

Hi Fordy, 

First off, I want to thank you for your suggestions on how to remove the generator. I followed your advice and used very thin Christmas wreath wire to weave in-between the timing chain belt and secured it to the bolt holes that helped to secure the timing chain cover. I did this procedure with two bolt holes and took a dowl and cut each end to fit into the crankshaft and camshaft gears so that nothing would move or fall. It worked as the timing chain is still secure.

You are correct, I need a replacement generator cut out and not a voltage regulator. The model a ford generator cut out is a good suggestion as I really would not know what to replace it with.  Also, I have had experience adjusting the third brush on other cars. What would you suggest as a good amperage for the generator?

Both the starter and generator are on their way to a repair shop soon. thanks Paul

I run mine at a charge of 2-3 amps. I do no night driving in it and when not being used I have the battery on a maintenance charger.

Steve

Hi Fordy.

I have the generator at the repair shop. Part of the generator was broken where the generator can be moved to adjust the belt tension. As you may guess, I firmly believe in punch marks and a white paint stick. I have been thinking and would like to purchase the generator brushes from you. Please let me know how to place an order with you. Thanks Paul

IMG_0183.JPG