Jump to content

Hand cranking the Model A


Recommended Posts

Hello I have a 1931 Deluxe Coupe Model A, in which i am completely restoring. I was trying to set the timing, and I made sure the car was in neutral. So as i turned the hand crank in order to press the timing pin into the slot, I noticed that at certain times or turns the car would move forward as if I was causing the car to roll forward. I double checked the gear shift to ensure it was in neutral. Then it worked fine turning until a certain spot or two then the car started moving forward. Any suggestions? Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could be a sticky clutch but more importantly, be sure the parking brake is fully set.  Two years ago a guy in my yard had a faulty ignition on ho=is Ford Bronko.  He lifted the hood and used a screwdriver to short out the solenoid.  When the car started it fell into gear and ran him over, killing him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only way this could be happening is if the transmission slipped from neutral into gear.   There are detentes on the shifter rails into which spring loaded plungers with ball shaped ends apply pressure.  This gives you the resistance and the "snick snick" as you move the shift lever between gears.  Do you have any resistance when you move the lever into a gear?  Could be your plungers or rails are worn or the springs are broken.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, 1wonton said:

Could be a sticky clutch but more importantly, be sure the parking brake is fully set.  Two years ago a guy in my yard had a faulty ignition on ho=is Ford Bronko.  He lifted the hood and used a screwdriver to short out the solenoid.  When the car started it fell into gear and ran him over, killing him.

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry about the guy who got killed. I think I have found the issue. When we installed the gear shift, we were not exactly how the gear shift went in. However just looking at the gear shift, you would think all was well. However when i try to shift i found that I cannot (or I think i cannot) shift into Reverse, or second gears. So i will remove the gear shift and properly install it.

Edited by deluxecoupe (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Pete O said:

The only way this could be happening is if the transmission slipped from neutral into gear.   There are detentes on the shifter rails into which spring loaded plungers with ball shaped ends apply pressure.  This gives you the resistance and the "snick snick" as you move the shift lever between gears.  Do you have any resistance when you move the lever into a gear?  Could be your plungers or rails are worn or the springs are broken.

Thank you for replying. I think I have found the issue. When we installed the gear shift, we were not exactly how the gear shift went in. However just looking at the gear shift, you would think all was well. However when i try to shift i found that I cannot (or I think i cannot) shift into Reverse, or second gears. So i will remove the gear shift and properly install it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any doubt and the best policy is to jack the rear end up and put some jack stands under it before starting any vehicle. This is especially true for Model T Fords. The wheels will spin but it won't run you over. Don't let it down until the problem is solved. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Any doubt and the best policy is to jack the rear end up and put some jack stands under it before starting any vehicle. This is especially true for Model T Fords. The wheels will spin but it won't run you over. Don't let it down until the problem is solved. 

Okay, thank you. Will do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...