1964 buick riviera tachometer

shanezwarg

You're looking for a "BUICK" tach, sold over the counter back in the day by the Parts Departments for mounting on any Buick of the era.  You probably know that tachometers weren't factory installed on any 1st Gen Riviera. 

Mounting the tach on the dashboard is clunky and detracts from the clean stock look.  IMO, the best place to mount one would be in the ash tray area on the console.  You'll have to drill a hole in the die-cast ash receiver door, and of course sacrifice the front ashtray.  Not the most ergonomic spot, as you'll have to look down and right to read the tach, but at least it will look reasonably stock.

You might like to post your 'Tach Wanted" ad in the general Buick forum as well to widen your search.  Good luck!

On 1/24/2024 at 6:18 AM, dr914 said:

no need for a tach on an automatic anyway!!!!

The tach in my  64  is the pressure in my right foot.

• Like 1

The tach on a car with automatic is useful especially on newer vehicles with 6 & 8 speed automatics,  the tach will let you know what gear you are in. 

I often notice the tach might be 2500 rpm and let off the gas, it shifts and drops to 2000 or less.   My Enclave will do almost 80 at 2000 RPM 

Actually for memory i had  a temperature gauge on my  65 , between  ignition and steering ,

mounted under dash, thought i also had a oil pressure  gauge  but must have remove that, before i sold it.

and as Ed says,  most new cars have tachometers,  but my  the latest  Lexus NX 350 hybrid  to view   the tachometer

you have change adaptive cruise control ,and  some other  item on  dash  to  enable to see  your  revs .

017.JPG

15 hours ago, Wayne R said:

as Ed says,  most new cars have tachometers,  but my  the latest  Lexus NX 350 hybrid  to view   the tachometer

you have change adaptive cruise control ,and  some other  item on  dash  to  enable to see  your  revs .

Odd? My Wrangler 4XE PHEV is the exact opposite. A dedicated analogue Tachometer while a large digital speedometer is on the 1st page on the Message Centre. If you're not on page-1, you have just the Tachometer which is at zero in electric mode of course. So a dedicated Speedo would make more sense, n'est pas?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2024 at 3:18 PM, dr914 said:

no need for a tach on an automatic anyway!!!!

One 100% agreed. However, im a proponent of knowing how your engine is behaving w/re: to water temp and oil pressure. I have analogue water and oil pressure gauges beneath my ash tray cover door. Idiot lights for me mean it is too late! 
Later Gator

The Turbinator

On 1/25/2024 at 8:33 PM, Wayne R said:

you have change adaptive cruise control ,and  some other  item on  dash  to  enable to see  your  revs

It just seems to me we just need to learn how to operate our cars so we can drive? Im pathetic when I cant tune in my radio. I guess I need to get the owners manual and learn how to operate my radio my late model Highlander.

ive got my Sonamatic on my 63 under control.

Later Gator

Turbinator

• Like 1