I Thought Young Guys Don't Buy Prewar Cars.....

A Woolf

I would argue that one of the reasons the "younger generation" is not buying older cars is because of the cost of living, starting out in life, buying houses, kids, etc.....  Buying an old vehicle is truly a luxury and not a necessity at that age.  I have my younger daughter and her husband along with our son involved in touring because they are able to use one of our old cars." 

I am quite sure that they will carry on the touring and car hobby long after I am gone because we have them involved with us now, driving them themselves and enjoying the drive and friendship with other like minded persons.  My son started driving our 1915 Buick truck at 16 years old.

I was just like them at that age.  I did not purchase my first "antique" car until I was in my 50's.  When all of the offspring moved out and on to the next stage in their lives, I could not believe all of the "extra money" that I then had.  Life was and is good.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I must have been an oddball. I have had some sort of antique car or truck since I was 12 years old. I had a school teacher that I told I had a 1929 Model A Ford truck. She told me I was a liar and it had to be a model or a toy. On parent/teaches day she told my folks about the Model A Ford I said I have. My Dad looked at her and said he does have one in the back yard. You could have heard a pin drop... Next day she apologized. Photo of the 29 and the 31 I acquired shortly after at the ripe old age of 12. 😁

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 9

I had my first pre war car at 13, Dandy Dave kicked my ass again. 

To be honest, when Dave was 12, I wasn’t sure gasoline automobiles had been invented yet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

To be honest, when Dave was 12, I wasn’t sure gasoline automobiles had been invented yet!

I must have been 12, maybe going on 13 when I "bought" my 1932 Chevy 5-window coupe. I say "bought", because the lady on my paper route chose not to pay me the $0.37/week, but let the total build up to $15.00, and then transferred the title to me. Of course Dad had to sign for me. We had it running in a matter of hours after it had sat in her yard from 1939 util I got it in 1953. Then again, I'm starting to feel older than dirt, now into my ninth decade. Passing the torch, our son-in-law is in his 4th year as our AACA Chapter President, and one heck of a Cajun cook. Our daughter grew up in the hobby, and the grandson has judged and been awarded "Youngest Driver" on an AACA National tour . Passing our cars to family and friends is one of the surest ways to help continuation of the hobby.

• Like 11

20 hours ago, edinmass said:

LOL... 😂🤣 I was collecting early farm engines and tractors at 9 years old. Most were only 30 or 40 years old at the time. Now they are around 100 Years old.... 😬

• Haha 1

Saw this photo on the web several years back labeled "one dandy sandbox".

Now I know what they meant by it...

That's DD's house in the background. 

He was 14 when the photo was taken ;) 

image.png.b7e09831209abe02be887534848264ec.png

@Marty Roth so what you're saying is that good cajun food, friends, family and antique automobiles are the fountain of youth? 

I'll be damned, we might all see the century mark afterall. :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

@30DodgePanel

Hopefully for all y’all-

By the way, my dad had a ‘37 or ‘38 Humpback delivery 

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Saw this photo on the web several years back labeled "one dandy sandbox".

Now I know what they meant by it...

That's DD's house in the background. 

He was 14 when the photo was taken ;) 

image.png.b7e09831209abe02be887534848264ec.png

@Marty Roth so what you're saying is that good cajun food, friends, family and antique automobiles are the fountain of youth? 

I'll be damned, we might all see the century mark afterall. :) 

That would have been a dream place. My Dad would not have had it. The "Junk" had to be out of sight.

• Like 2

Nicks1928-47.jpg.8ffaf30973071c70cb7bf313a0a3530a.jpgNick Sieber's 1928 Buick Model 47 out for a drive in the snow last week. Nick is in his mid 20s. He has a 1940 Buick Md. 41.  A 1930 Ford Sedan and I believe a 1916 Studebaker Touring. Also a 1919 H-45 Buick on the horizon. He set up a tour last summer at the Stone Gables Elizabethtown PA.

thumbnail_image_6487327.jpg.c58ea0afbc5dbb0224d036e0027f1c04.jpgThe Star Barn. Nick at the far right in the orange shirt. Along with other much younger enthusiasts that I.

Here is what Nick is planning for 2024.

thumbnail_IMG_1699.jpg.1c924e36c900b38afc5168bd9753585c.jpg

• Like 6

On 1/22/2024 at 4:19 AM, Larry Schramm said:

I would argue that one of the reasons the "younger generation" is not buying older cars is because of the cost of living, starting out in life, buying houses, kids, etc.....  Buying an old vehicle is truly a luxury and not a necessity at that age.  I have my younger daughter and her husband along with our son involved in touring because they are able to use one of our old cars." 

I am quite sure that they will carry on the touring and car hobby long after I am gone because we have them involved with us now, driving them themselves and enjoying the drive and friendship with other like minded persons.  My son started driving our 1915 Buick truck at 16 years old.

I was just like them at that age.  I did not purchase my first "antique" car until I was in my 50's.  When all of the offspring moved out and on to the next stage in their lives, I could not believe all of the "extra money" that I then had.  Life was and is good.

I’ve got to disagree with you on this. I’ve been a Miata owner for 30+ years and have a few JDM cars. As such, I spend a lot of time talking to enthusiasts under age 30. Honestly, I'm astounded at the level of complexity in their projects. That age group loves to modify their cars and do things like engine swaps. The other thing that boggles my mind is the amount of money they spend on their builds. What keeps them out of "old" cars is a lack of interest.

I think there is a more important takeaway from this video. There is most certainly a small group of younger people who like prewar cars. If the AACA wants to engage them, they need to communicate through the platforms these folks frequent. The guy in the video has over 2M followers and over 200,000 people have watched this video. If the AACA has a YouTube channel, I can't find it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

I’ve got to disagree with you on this. I’ve been a Miata owner for 30+ years and have a few JDM cars. As such, I spend a lot of time talking to enthusiasts under age 30. Honestly, I'm astounded at the level of complexity in their projects. That age group loves to modify their cars and do things like engine swaps. The other thing that boggles my mind is the amount of money they spend on their builds. What keeps them out of "old" cars is a lack of interest.

I think there is a more important takeaway from this video. There is most certainly a small group of younger people who like prewar cars. If the AACA wants to engage them, they need to communicate through the platforms these folks frequent. The guy in the video has over 2M followers and over 200,000 people have watched this video. If the AACA has a YouTube channel, I can't find it.

This is spot on!!  I met a younger YouTuber(in his twenties) at the Old Car Festival last October.  Last year he got into prewar and learning about them and was just fascinated and his channel now has 40,000 subscribers and his videos get lots of views.   He heard about the Old Car Festival from someone that he was doing a car video on and on a whim he decided to attend.  He said his mind was blown!   I had the 1917 Cole Toursedan Convertible body by Springfield there and he asked if he could film it and do a video on it.  He did his own research (got a few facts wrong in the video) to narate and produce the video and gets lots of views and engagement.  He is not involved in any old car clubs, never been to Hershey, and probably doesnt even know what the AACA is.  Here it is the video that he did on the Cole and I was very impressed!!!  His YouTube channel probably raises more awareness about orphan and old cars to the younger generation than most of the traditional clubs do.  The clubs need to adapt and do it quickly, including maybe teaming up with some of these YouTube personalities.  

Edited by kfle (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, kfle said:

...I met a younger YouTuber (in his twenties) at the Old Car Festival last October...  

He is not involved in any old car clubs, never been to Hershey, and probably doesn't even know what the AACA is.  

Well, you can correct that!  Being involved with the

AACA can greatly enhance his knowledge.  He can

get to know others deeply involved in the hobby,

at a much faster rate than being outside our large

and widespread club.

I’m not as young as I used to be (37) but I am slowly getting my kids hooked on these old cars.  Pictures from our annual New Year’s Day drive.  This year it was the Model ‘T’s turn.  
I have been into old cars since I was very little, thanks Dad.

IMG_4942.jpeg

IMG_4945.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2