Yet Another Scam......

Beware of anyone calling you on the phone and asking "Can you hear me".  These creeps are looking for you to say "Yes" so they can record your voice and use that recording to fool voice recognition devices that safeguard your assets.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, leomara said:

These creeps are looking for you to say "Yes" so they can record your voice... 

Thank you for the alert, Leo.  I have heard that

and am careful never to say "Yes" to any question.

If I want to play along with the miscreants, I'll

reply, "Tell me more" or "Why are you calling from India?"

They'll quickly get frustrated and hang up abruptly.

Criminals tend to die early.  Have they noticed that?

God's justice is inescapable!

• Like 2

We have a low tech screening system for our land line: I unplugged the phone from the answering machine, so we get no rings, only messages transmitted at subdued volume levels. Our frustration went down 1000 percent.  Cell phone has a "scam likely" function which seems to work most of the time.

I am reminded of the theft and dishonesty so prevalent in my youth. Those people in the 1950s would steal anything that wasn't nailed down, and some that was. When I was a kid working in the tire shop the old guys would open their trunks showing an array of shovels, chains, and other construction tools. They would tell about stealing buckets of coal from a coal yard or taking the windows out of an old house replace cracked and broken ones in theirs house.

Kids weren't even safe. I remember going through all kinds of gyrations if I mailed in a quarter for a cereal box prize. You had to tape it to cardboard and make sure it didn't slide. Or they would steal a quarter from a kid. I remember some of them filling scrap radiators with water to freeze in winter or putting big rocks under the tin in scrap loads. And they bragged about it. Real cases of the Robin Hood complex claiming they were poor and leaving out the middleman.

Two weeks ago a friend went to Lowes to buy a ball valve to use for a shut off for his water when he travels away. He found one tucked on an upper shelve. Someone had stolen the ferules from the package. Since it was the only one he drove to Home Depot near the city line. He took his items to the self check out where he was only allowed to insert his charge card. An attendant had to scan the items to prevent...theft. He also learned that customers could photograph big ticket item bar codes the using their computer, edit the price to something much lower. The self checkout attendant was tasked to watch for that as well.

There are scams alright. Aesop wrote about them 2,000 years ago and the same concepts are in play today.

The key is to walk away when you spot it. Thinking it is one's duty to expose the thief and call him out is common for old men to do. Generally you fall right into their plan. You know that story about punching the tar baby, don't you. Read it for a refresher.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Thinking it is one's duty to expose the thief and call him out is common for old men to do. 

Sorry, I must disagree with that opinion.  Age is irrelevant.

A desire not to have crime rampant is the impetus.

Would anyone knowing of a scam be unwilling to warn others?

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Would anyone knowing of a scam be unwilling to warn others?

Got it wrong. Warning others is what one should do. Confronting the scammer to unveil them or act as a cop will only play into their scam.

And it is the old guy who bellows to the thief. The thief doesn't care one bit.

After supper I will rewrite that part to make it more clear, seemed clear when I wrote it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, leomara said:

Beware of anyone calling you on the phone and asking "Can you hear me".  These creeps are looking for you to say "Yes" so they can record your voice and use that recording to fool voice recognition devices that safeguard your assets.

When the scam caller asks: "Can you hear me?".  Do not answer with "yes'.  Rather answer his question with a philosophical question: The old "Does a tree falling in a forest where no one hears it, does it make a sound?"   Guaranteed they hang up immediately...

I know there are more ways and people out there trying to get my money faster than I can make it, but I dont understand how answering 'yes' will let anyone access my accounts? I always need passwords, and other sorts of checks and balances to gain entry, I have nothing that requires me to 'yes'.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a call from Jason Feish....., who said he'd a model 65 aP water pump but the picture he sent was a  Model T. Then I told it wasn't  correct a picture of a model 65. He wanted  payment in gift cards He refused PayPal and didn't  want a check with " for deposit only". He also refused COD.  He wouldn't  give me his address .His email has the word love in it. I've  reported it and have a few feelers out.

Jason , if you are reading this, you can run but you can't  hide.