33 Studebaker clutch

Oldtech

I posted this in Stude but no answers coming. Would like info on adjusting the pressure plate fingers and what is Installed height

Car is a 33 Dictator. New clutch and recon pressure plate but fingers very uneven.

From what you describe the clutch rebuilder did a con job. To properly rebuild a clutch, it has to be dis assembled completely. The springs has to be the same stiffness and height. The plate has to be resurfaced and most likely the fingers replaced or repaired. The springs on the fingers must be tested and all must compare. 

Springs are ok and plate is resurfaced. Sumbuddy !#$ put it together wrong  (Plate in backwards for one) and now a finger is bent. also had to do some buildup on the pressure washer that these have on the fingers. 

Yes, the plate can be installed backwards, as I can testify.  There is a long side to the splined hub and a short side.  The plate springs project more on one side than the other.  Wrong way around, the clutch won't release from the flywheel.  

clutchplatebacksidesm.jpg.08f6d19c865569de7bc8e89ded0d7e40.jpg

Short side of hub.

clutchplatefrontside.jpg.dcca0752184ddcb4408c2cd94fe47770.jpg

Long side of hub.

• Like 1

Plate in backwards ?  I would like to see that .It is like putting on your dentures backwards. One side of the center clutch drive  is longer than the other. Installed  backwards , the clutch will not release.

2 hours ago, dodge28 said:

Plate in backwards ?  I would like to see that .It is like putting on your dentures backwards. One side of the center clutch drive  is longer than the other. Installed  backwards , the clutch will not release.

You are correct. The spring hub was toward the flywheel and the flywheel bolts were against the hub. Nothing worked.

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)
  • Like 1