1996 Buick Riviera Thermostat Changing

Cougar

Hi!! I have a 1996 Buick Riviera that I purchased from a used car lot. The temperature gauge is just barely getting above 100°. For reference, the current temperature here is 6° with a windchill of -13°.  I am suspect that the thermostat is stuck in the open position. I know the thermostat is suppose to at the top in the engine compartment but I don’t know which side of the house it is one.  I think it is in the position that I have circled in the photo.  Can somebody please confirm the location? Also, if that is where the thermostat is located, I’m not sure how to get the cover off.  What I wouldn’t give right now for a garage.   Thanks y’all 

IMG_0634.jpeg

That’s what I thought.  I’m just afraid that as cold as it is here & that cover feels like plastic, it may crack or break. I appreciate your help. I knew I would need to take the oil cap off but was unaware of the extension 

Hi,

page from the 1996 manual below. Follow the top hose once the cover is off. Have not done it myself but had mine professionally flushed recently where they removed the thermostat.

cheers Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_6873.jpeg.8d516c2dd620783ecc290fda6a1d7f7c.jpeg

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Extra information (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1