1931 Chevrolet Landau Phaeton on Mecum last night

The Mecum auction for the 14th (today) was run from 12 AM to 6 AM this morning on TV!?!  I missed it and I would like to know what the '31 Chevy Landau Phaeton went for?  If the Mecum Auction website lists it, I could not find it.  Thanks in advance....🙂

Capt. Harley😉

"Skirts are for Women not Car Fenders"

Thanks CarNucopia!  The Landau was for sale in Hemmings some time back.  I wanted to check it out back then, but it was to far away.  Plus, I have no place to properly

store it which is why I did not try and bid on it.  I hope the new owner takes care of it and does not make a "you-know-what" out of it.😢  Thanks again.☺️

Capt. Harley😉

"Skirts are for Women and not Car Fenders"

• Like 1

Wow I missed that one, I've been looking for a 31-32 landau phaeton for years, and now I'm getting too old to buy one!  I would have bought that one and used it as is, maybe a little sewing on the leather flaps!

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 1/14/2024 at 4:09 PM, trimacar said:

Wow I missed that one, I've been looking for a 31-32 landau phaeton for years, and now I'm getting too old to buy one!  I would have bought that one and used it as is, maybe a little sewing on the leather flaps!

Actually it was listed on eBay a while back and not Hemmings like I stated.  The years are catching up to me.☹️  Same here, I would have just touched it up and done what ever it took to make it save to drive.  Who ever won the auction sure did get a good deal!😂

Capt. Harley😉

Wrong venue as mentioned, and after transportation and auction fees, seller probably cleared 8,000 or so.  My first car in 1964 was a 31 Chevy, still have it,would love to have a landau phaeton.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Wrong venue as mentioned, and after transportation and auction fees, seller probably cleared 8,000 or so.  My first car in 1964 was a 31 Chevy, still have it,would love to have a landau phaeton.

My very first car was also a ‘31 Chev. Got it for $700 in 1971 and sold it five years later for double the money.  I thought I had done something.  I guess I did, but now have a different opinion of what I did!

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, vintage1 said:

Would that red have been an original color ? 

Not likely, however, it would take someone more involved specifically with the 1931 Chevrolet product line, or original sales literature to know for certain what colors were actually offered or standard for this model 1931 Chevrolet.

I do know that Chevrolet had begun offering some sportier colors by 1931 than what they had in earlier years.

In at least one of the photos above, I see some light beige/brown peeking through the red. That "beige" was the standard color on the landaulet sedans Chevrolet offered in 1929 and 1930. I have over the years seen a couple of original landaulet sedans with that original color still on them! Pure speculation on my part? Perhaps for this new style for 1931, maybe they carried over that beige onto this model???

Really neat looking car and very rare (for a Chevrolet) body style.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

In at least one of the photos above, I see some light beige/brown peeking through the red. That "beige" was the standard color on the landaulet sedans Chevrolet offered in 1929 and 1930. I have over the years seen a couple of original landaulet sedans with that original color still on them! Pure speculation on my part? Perhaps for this new style for 1931, maybe they carried over that beige onto this model???

Beige/tan was very common on all 1931 cars; often combined with a darker shade of brown in a two-tone combination.  Too me, it was like all the grays one sees on cars today.

Craig

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Beige/tan was very common on all 1931 cars; often combined with a darker shade of brown in a two-tone combination.  Too me, it was like all the grays one sees on cars today.

Craig

I think Chevrolet actually offered a paint scheme that you mentioned.  With dark brown fenders & splash aprons for the '31 roadsters.  I've owned two original '29 

Chevy's over the years.  The first in '66 when I was 15 and again in the late 90's.  Great cars the only things that were not original was the paint and tires.😊

Capt. Harley 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Harley said:

I think Chevrolet actually offered a paint scheme that you mentioned.  With dark brown fenders & splash aprons for the '31 roadsters.  I've owned two original '29 

Chevy's over the years. 

Ford did as well, as did Studebaker.

I posted a pair of 1931 Studebakers in that color combination here:  

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

The brown and tan was a standard paint color for 31 chevy and it was often accompanied by orange wheels. The fawn brown, coffee cream, and swamp holly orange was only offered on open cars like this landau along with the roadster and convertible coupe. The code 81 included brown fenders also yet the undersides were all painted black. The brown/tan combination was also available with black fenders but I don’t know the paint code. On code 81 the pinstripe also was the swamp holly orange. There is a good probability that the colors you see underneath are in fact remnants of the original code 81 scheme. While many seem to feel the two tone brown/tan was a fad of the seventies, many cars were probably being repainted to their original colors. That color combination was offered on most of the GM line plus many other manufacturers has similar paint schemes in their color charts. My own ‘31 chevy is painted in code 81 but it is incorrect for my car because it’s a closed car and as stated earlier, code 81 was only available in open models. I like though and have had numerous compliments on the car.

7915D56B-73E8-4ACE-9411-C60D92AC1E14.jpeg

• Like 8

I see every time a brown and tan car comes up the first comments are usually that it was restored in the 70's (tagging along with Chris' comment above). I think a lot of times those are correct statements but I like those colours on a car. His sedan looks particularly nice.

• Like 3

I feel that General Motors and others by the mid to late twenties really had a handle on paint combo’s .  I am more familiar with the fisher Bros bodied Buick’s . A lot of people do not realize that almost every body style that Buick sold in 1928 usually had 3 or 4 factory preset IMG_2109.jpeg.91c382429ea67ccbe524b3be0d6bce71.jpegIMG_6742.jpeg.926fa96117d98bcf610d4bcf7db0882d.jpeg color combinations.  The picture I have included is my 1928 Buick Master 28-54C country club coupe.  This car was restored in the 1970’s with a respray of the original color combination, if you open the doors you can see all the original paint in the Jams. If you count all the colors on this car you would think it would look like a circus wagon, but instead the design and color studio did great.  The colors are dark mountain tan, light mountain tan, vermilion red pinstripes, black fenders and running boards, natural wood wheels And the top which is the only deviation from original as it should have been cobra-grain fabric.  Oh for AJ’s benefit I forgot to point out the 7th color, hint it’s on the tires😁

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I see every time a brown and tan car comes up the first comments are usually that it was restored in the 70's (tagging along with Chris' comment above). I think a lot of times those are correct statements but I like those colors on a car. His sedan looks particularly nice.

I still like that color combination on cars of that era, and if I was restoring one from those years, that was dark brown/tan originally, I'd definitely restored back to that color.

Craig

• Like 3

IMG_9416.jpeg.c4fff6e0325b1804c02d08765d69342d.jpegMy 1940 Chevy has the same color scheme: tan/brown. It was restored in 2015. The color code on the firewall tag is 270. For a 1940 Chevy car that color is Arden Beige

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Second car we professionally restored was a '31 Chev Sedan. Painted it its original color of Coffee Cream with Cellini Green wheels. Found out the Cellini Green was used by VW as late as '68.

You had painted the fenders black though right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CChinn said:

IMG_9416.jpeg.c4fff6e0325b1804c02d08765d69342d.jpegMy 1940 Chevy has the same color scheme: tan/brown. It was restored in 2015. The color code on the firewall tag is 270. For a 1940 Chevy car that color is Arden Beige

What is interesting is to paint the fawn brown color, it doesn't show up in modern paint charts as a brown. I refer to the color as a "Georgia red mud" color. It turns out, for me to duplicate the fawn brown as closely to original Duco paint chips from '31, I had to use yellow as a base color! Then we added red oxide and some black per the Dupont Chroma Premier instructions to achieve the color needed. No one could originally mix the correct color and it took an old timer at a small paint shop to say after looking at the paint chip, "Thats not a brown you're looking for, that's a yellow. A red yellow."  And he was right. I believe I spent most of one summer trying to match the color and sprayed out close to 40 test cards until the old timer mixed up his batch! It's a hard color to duplicate correctly and the browns are too dark and chocolaty. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CChinn said:

I posted a photo of a tan 1942 with 'blackout' trim in the darker brown here:

On 1/14/2024 at 3:09 PM, trimacar said:

David, try and remember how tight it is behind that little Chevy Steering wheel,

and how we've aged , and spread, a bit.

I don't think that '29 is any more spacious than your '29 Roadster, 

or our '27 Roadster

• Like 1