Story of a Dodge soft top

I was visiting a small town a few hours from me yesterday, checking out some old cars for sale, being restored and the local Vintage car club. The following yarn come up.

Story goes - When a young couple went on their Honeymoon in the Dodge the top leaked in a rain storm. A few days later they come across some workers Tar sealing a road. They asked if they would spray some bitumen over the soft top. They did and it kept them dry from then on.

Many decades later the car is still driven from time to time complete with a great talking point, the bitumen covered roof. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I had a 26 Chrysler Coupe that I think had a tared roof put on with a pudy knife.

I am not positive because on the way back from picking it up the whole top fabric blew off in one piece on I 70 leaving only the chicken wire.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Many years ago I bought a 1964 Comet Caliente convertible that had a piece of plywood glued to the inside of the roof and rubber inner tubes glued to the outside.

A ‘64 Caliente convertible is a bucket list car for me. Maybe not that one. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a college friend with a '56 Ford convertible...

He coated the fabric top with a big brush using a semi-liquid black [house] roofing compound. It never leaked, but it never really set up either. You didn't want to touch it in the summer time or you would stick to it like fly paper.

He sadly realized, after the fact, that if the top ever went down again, it would never come back up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1