1927 Marmon 78 generator

FISHBOY

Does anyone have information for replacing the 949F generator with an alternator? I can not find any resources as to what alternator would fit best and available brackets. I do not have any proper way to fab my own brackets. This vehicle does not use any brackets that I could work with as the generator merely mounts with strap and pinch bolt and a single locating dowel. Thanks 

I may be wrong, but I don't think you will find an off-the-shelf bolt-on conversion for this.  If you must go the alternator route, you might try these folks and see if they can do a conversion for you (inside the existing generator housing).

gener-nator.com

• Like 1

Is this the one that drives with the rubber "hose" coupler.  If so you would have to get one that would be able to line up with that drive. Looks tricky!  I like AKSTRAWS idea

What's the point? Are you planning on going on very long drives, or?

Just charge the battery the night before and you won't even need ANY charging system to drive it around the next day as long as you don't go far. Though obviously I wouldn't recommend it. Does the generator work?

Not exactly the same, but I knew a guy that one time had his motorcycle alternator fail, he drove for a whole HOUR on the interstate with all his accessories off to the nearest shop that had a replacement. Something like 100,000–150,000 firings of the spark plug on a single charge.

Edited by human-potato_hybrid (see edit history)