1954 Kaiser Darrin for Sale

A collector I know who owned two restored '54 Kaiser Darrins plus a couple more complete cars in need plus remnants of others, observed that people paid a lot of money for what was a slinky fiberglass body on a Henry J chassis powered by a Willys F-head six.

• Like 3

That car is located in old town Orange which is about 5 miles from where I live.  I am going to mosey on over there tomorrow and take a closer look!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A collector I know who owned two restored '54 Kaiser Darrins plus a couple more complete cars in need plus remnants of others, observed that people paid a lot of money for what was a slinky fiberglass body on a Henry J chassis powered by a Willys F-head six.

Who has two of them?

348545417_995633335136952_75135.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6035.jpg.0042c396399c04abb687890f205fa7b0.jpg

183927423_4086300711433006_2403710999696842389_n.jpg

184075898_4086299508099793_5406712743141040614_n.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

13 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The body is fantastic and the platform mundane.  Such a shame.  They could have used used their bigger engine with the blower and it would be been much cooler.

• Like 1

There's a Darrin up here in Sussex County at Space Farms, a local kid's attraction. It's been there for years and needs work. It's a stationary vehicle in their museum. They have a zoo, and have reportedly been cited many times for mistreatment of animals. The family has a reputation around the county for being "eccentric."

On 1/10/2024 at 6:36 PM, alsancle said:

The pictures are not great but I'm willing to bet the condition is probably why the price is what it is.

s-l1600-1.jpg.5ac27c92f7bb3af60dcae0e69cbf102e.jpg

This is the only color I can remember seeing this car in, not that I've seen many. Nice to see it in other colors as well. Regardless how well built they were, I do like the look of them.

2 hours ago, DrumBob said:

There's a Darrin up here in Sussex County at Space Farms, a local kid's attraction. It's been there for years and needs work. It's a stationary vehicle in their museum. They have a zoo, and have reportedly been cited many times for mistreatment of animals. The family has a reputation around the county for being "eccentric."

Found it on line..

28676260580_f386e6ec2a_c.jpg

I have a friend that had 2 Darren's in Seattle. One was all original and the other had a blown engine. My friend was an incredible mechanic and  fabricator.

The blown engine Darren ended up with a 6 cylinder twin cam Maserati engine and transmission installed. That combination made the ol' Darren get up and scoot. Not sure what happened to it after he passed.

brasscarguy

Not sure if I have 75k or 80K for my car insurance on them..

They very fun to drive.. If you have the over drive working you can drive this car at 70 mph.

It does not have any problems.

It is all hood since you sit so low and you at the back of the car..

It will not do burnout..

Just FYI  - I was told 30 years ago one Kaiser Darrin had a Jaguar motor in it.. I try to track in down  with no luck..

thumbnail_IMG_9658.png

DSC_1204 640x480.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

On 1/11/2024 at 9:35 PM, Crusty Trucker said:

The Edsel was once described as "an Oldsmobile kissing lemons."  ...wonder what the Kaiser Darrin was kissing?

image.png.144e7804f8ccb099730c35a4bb0a57ca.png

Dutch was an artist.  As with many artists, they in corporate "signatures" in their designs, e.g. Salvador Dali had a small bug in all of his paintings.  Ergo, Dutch put an image of a heart in his, i.e., "scalloped" windshield on Kaisers and rear window on the Henry j.  For the Darrin, it was the turn signals and the grille.  Get it?

• Like 1

I really like the style of the Kaiser Darrin and wish the engine was bigger.  In fairness,  have never driven one so maybe it is perfectly fine?   I have put lots of miles on a XK140 and I can tell you that car will go as fast as you want, especially with the optional racing head which 50% of the US cars got.

Btw, I think the market for all three 54 cars is fairly close right now.  75K gets you a nice driver across the board.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

Approx numbers:

Corvette $3500

Kaiser $3700

XK 140 $4000

Well that REALLY surprises me. I would assume the Jaguar would have been significantly higher. Either way, that Kaiser sure is a nice looking car, although if I could afford any I'd always take a vintage Jaguar.

12 minutes ago, MotiveLensPhoto said:

Well that REALLY surprises me. I would assume the Jaguar would have been significantly higher. Either way, that Kaiser sure is a nice looking car, although if I could afford any I'd always take a vintage Jaguar.

4k was a lot of money for a car.  Especially a toy.  In 53 the base model Chevy was around 1500 bucks.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, alsancle said:

4k was a lot of money for a car.  Especially a toy.  In 53 the base model Chevy was around 1500 bucks.

Agree. For a couple of other reference points, a Cadillac 62 was $3700, a Packard Caribbean $5200

6 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

Agree. For a couple of other reference points, a Cadillac 62 was $3700, a Packard Caribbean $5200

1953 Porsche 356/1500 Super "Pre-A" Coupe had a price of $4,284

11 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

$3,000 in 1954 is worth $34,209.59 today

$3,500 in 1954 is worth $39,911.19 today

$4,000 in 1954 is worth $45,612.79 today

$4,500 in 1954 is worth $51,314.39 today

I think these mathematically adjusted old values are misleading...it's just such a different world today. These were expensive cars when they were new, but I looked it up and the average transaction price for a new vehicle today is around $47K. That's an AVERAGE price. 

In 1960, my parents sold our very modest house for $15,000. The formula used above says that would equate to about $151K today, but Zillow says the house worth $875K.  
Makes me glad I'm old, and don't have to deal with this stuff. 

1 hour ago, Leif in Calif said:

I think these mathematically adjusted old values are misleading...it's just such a different world today. These were expensive cars when they were new, but I looked it up and the average transaction price for a new vehicle today is around $47K. That's an AVERAGE price. 

In 1960, my parents sold our very modest house for $15,000. The formula used above says that would equate to about $151K today, but Zillow says the house worth $875K.  
Makes me glad I'm old, and don't have to deal with this stuff. 

Maybe that's why young people are living in rented apartments stacked six high and not able to buy new cars, much less afford room to store and rebuild a project car.

The California home my folks bought new in 1946 is now "valued" at  $1,250,000 and is basically the same 3 bedroom, 1 bath subdivision house on a 50 foot lot, except it's now nearly 80 years old. like me.     Go figure.

• Like 2