For Sale: 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer La Femme Edition - Heather Rose & Saphire White 2dr Hardtop Coupe - Project - Hilton, NY - Not Mine - 1/15 Listed on BAT, No Reserve - 1/22 SOLD!

For Sale by Dealer: 1955 Dodge La Femme 2-door Hardtop Coupe in Hilton, NY  -  $24,500  -  Call: Great Lakes Classic Cars, 6 Upton Street, Hilton, NY 14468  -  Phone: 1-800-510-3797  -  Dealer's Website: https://www.glclassiccars.com/details/used-1955-dodge-lancer/99891384

Also listed on Autabuy.com: https://www.autabuy.com/classifieds/96188637-1955-dodge-royal-lancer

See videos: https://youtu.be/sz7bafzX-3o  and  https://youtu.be/552uZ14Wn58

Seller's Description:

1955 Dodge La Femme 2-door Hardtop Coupe

• Mileage: 104,688
  • Engine: 270ci HEMI V8 4.4L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Exterior Color: Heather Rose & Sapphire White
  • Interior Color: Red
  • Stock #: 1791
  • VIN not provided

1955 Dodge Royal Lancer 'La Femme' 'SUPER RED RAM' HEMI

• RARE production vehicle targeted at "The Metropolitan Woman" of the 1950s. Rare is an understatement with initial low production numbers of only two model years with very few having survived to today, (less than 50 per the very few online sources available).
  • THIS IS A PROJECT CAR!!! Let us re-interate that This Car Is a Project Car. We typically don't get involved with project vehicles unless there's something unique about them, be it rarety, ownership history, or valuation.
  • This Royal Lancer started out as part of a large private collection of mostly Mopars accumulated over many decades personally owned by a late Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Jeep franchise auto dealer.
  • When we began removing the vehicles off site (pics posted) they were very dusty inside and out but kept indoors in heated warehouse with some of them not movable as they literally haven't moved in years.
  • We got them home to our facility where we began assessing condition and what it takes to get them individually going. Having ownership transferred to previous owner and last state inspected back in November of 1988 makes this an exciting barn find of sorts.
  • A carburetor re-assemble, new coil, battery, some wiring repair, oil change, some brake bleeding, resetting the bead on a couple of tires, and she safely fired right up! There are two videos of the car starting for the first time... She was pushed onto our lift and was able to start and drive off... Then with a bit of arrogance our tech drove it up and down the parking lot just to prove a point. We loved it!
  • Now that she is able to start and move on her own, it came time to give the 'ol girl a bath and besides some rusty wheel well openings and other ailments you would expect from nearly a 70 year old car, she is still quite a catch. Chrome is pitted, frame is very good, floors have some small areas that will need patching, trunk has had work before, inner rockers will need work, stainless and glass are very good, will need new weatherstripping.

Over 224 pictures on Dealer's website.

History:

The year was 1955, and post-war America was “moving on up” to the suburbs. With the working man driving into the city on a daily basis and families having considerably larger bank balances, many began to consider purchasing a second car. Aware of the emerging two-car trend, Dodge Motor Company designed an apparently “female friendly” version of the Royal Lancer hardtop known as the 1955 Dodge La Femme. Painted up in “Heather Rose” and “Sapphire White” and complete with pink rosebud upholstery, the “La Femme” certainly was a vision in gender stereotyping. Along with the hyper-feminine car features, the Dodge La Femme package included a driver’s accessory pack that featured a rain cape, rain bonnet, and umbrella — plus a pink, calf-skin leather purse which contained a powder compact, comb, lipstick case, a lighter, and cigarette case. The car was for a “discriminating” and “modern” woman.

Despite employing rhetoric such as “her majesty” when describing who would drive the car, women failed to flock to Dodge’s 1955 model. Cars sat unsold in showrooms, collecting dust.

Dodge was undeterred, however — presumably thinking that if they just tried a little harder, injecting a little more pink into the pepto bismol-colored mess, they would succeed. Thus the car company sent letters out to showrooms touting the model’s stunning success and rolled out the 1956 La Femme soon after.

The Dodge La Femme is a full-sized automobile that was produced by Dodge between 1955 and 1956. The automobile was specifically designed for women. The La Femme option was available on 1955 and 1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer models. The La Femme stemmed from the observation of Chrysler's marketing.

image.png.b04b8a64a942e8875464d24a7ca134b1.png

image.png.55e6b285289624e21afa67b5bfc9677e.png

image.png.228b5db28050b7732827c1b86a1515c8.png

image.png.80f1e182504ca34651f4822f0bea94c4.png

image.png.2c537b2c956af6e82384fafb70d79ac1.png

image.png.1b253f3f844a67374c9fb8fe37cf892e.png

image.png.ea07991f2636ec44d03971c70a4961d8.png

image.png.79ddd3702e7feceac7f040d744a1e71b.png

image.png.423d7c59a24e6d02be5352ac4d697a33.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer La Femme Edition - Heather Rose & Saphire White 2dr Hardtop Coupe - Project - Hilton, NY - Not Mine

Casually looking for one of there, think I'll keep looking. 

• Like 2

My first thought was that from an economic standpoint wouldn't it make more sense to restore a 1955 Dodge Custom Royal convertible than buying this super expensive 1955 LaFemme for $24.5K that needs a lot of work? Those top of the line converts are pretty scarce too and even more desirable. And you might find a lower mileage better equipped car with accessories like PS, PB, and a 4-bbl carb.........I'm also thinking maybe you could get yourself a 1955 Dodge 2-door hardtop project car in like the $6-$8K range. You could paint it pink & white and few people would even know the difference.

• Like 5

A 1955 in much better condition, sold on Ebay this past May for $27,000.  So this car is over priced by about 1/2 for the amount of work it needs.  Also looks like no p/s or power brakes.  A bear to drive.  I would like to see the wife this car was ordered for. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Typical Northeast Bondo buggy, It might contribute its trim and any model specific items to the restoration of a solid, relatively rust-free Western '55 Dodge Lancer hardtop to recreate a La Femme.

It's a collectible car but the price is much too high for its condition.  For $25-$30K you might be able to find a nice 1955-1956 New Yorker or Imperial coupe that's ready to drive and enjoy. And if you were to buy this $24.5K LaFemme and factor in all the expensive restoration costs you could probably get yourself a decent Chrysler C300 or a 300B and you would end up owning a masculine car instead of a feminine one. Just looking at the big picture here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't bother reading the lengthy description but looked at all of the photos and subsequent comments.  Aside from the unknown extent of rust, the chrome work, correct upholstery and door panel trim, paint and finding missing accessories would be very expensive.  It would be cheaper to find one already finished correctly.   

• Like 2

I've seen a total of two or three over the years from both years in very nice condition.  It's an interesting piece of automotive history.  

By the way, AMT made 1/25th scale models of the 1955 Royal Lancer 2-door hardtop model in multiple two-tone and tri-tone color combinations and then did a Custom Royal Lancer 4-door hardtop for 1956.

Years ago, the Gretsch guitar company released a solidbody guitar called the Princess model, specifically geared to women. It came in pastel colors with bejeweled control knobs and other feminine appointments, It was a colossal flop and is very rare today. 

• Like 2

Wow, Wow and Wow again. If this car had the original interior and there was no rust issues, IMO this would be a stunner. That said, it is a sad state of affairs that we have here. The potential for this car is really high, but by the time that you chased down the original interior and repaired all of the rust, you would be far under water. I am not a real big Mopar fan, but this could be a real beauty. GLWTS

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer La Femme Edition - Heather Rose & Saphire White 2dr Hardtop Coupe - Project - Hilton, NY - Not Mine - 1/11 SOLD!
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer La Femme Edition - Heather Rose & Saphire White 2dr Hardtop Coupe - Project - Hilton, NY - Not Mine - 1/11 SOLD in three days!
3 hours ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

On 1/11, Autabuy and the Dealer marked their websites "SOLD!"

Only three days...

I knew that one would go quick. Just too cool and rare. Yep I realize how rough it was and pricey. But if you are going to restore a 50's Dodge this is the one to do. A tribute to the forward thinking of Exner and crew to recognize that women had a place in buying cars and influencing decisions to persuade others buying cars. The Red Ram Hemi under the hood is the chef's kiss!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

I knew that one would go quick. Just too cool and rare. Yep I realize how rough it was and pricey. But if you are going to restore a 50's Dodge this is the one to do. A tribute to the forward thinking of Exner and crew to recognize that women had a place in buying cars and influencing decisions to persuade others buying cars. The Red Ram Hemi under the hood is the chef's kiss!

Exner and his team may have been visionaries in their thinking, but this wasn't the car that the girls loved, just as that Gretsch Princess guitar likewise tanked. I think it all goes back to the misconceptions men had about marketing to woman in the '50s. "Make it feminine, and they'll love it." Not. 

My younger daughter wants to trade in her Audi (a lemon, by the way), for a pickup truck. You go, girl. 

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer La Femme Edition - Heather Rose & Saphire White 2dr Hardtop Coupe - Project - Hilton, NY - Not Mine - 1/11 SOLD - 1/15 NOT Sold - Relisted on BAT
4 hours ago, classiclines said:

I'm not sure this sold...    Regardless, it is now on Bring-A-Trailer auction site...

With 211 pictures...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1955-dodge-la-femme/

Current Bid: $2,500
Ends in 5 days

Listed by Dealer on 1/15 as NO Reserve auction. 

image.png.c090ee32a4d4926b4b7490285831413b.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer La Femme Edition - Heather Rose & Saphire White 2dr Hardtop Coupe - Project - Hilton, NY - Not Mine - 1/11 SOLD - 1/15 NOT Sold - Listed on BAT, No Reserve

There were pink 1954 Dodges but the actual LaFemme models were only available in 1955 & 1956. IMO if someone had the funds available and wanted to restore the ultimate 1950s Dodge they might consider finding a 1956 coupe or convertible with the factory optional D-500 package. Those things were hot and were advertised as America's acceleration champions.

Edited by The 55er
changed a few words (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My experience with New York registrations is that there are transferable and non-transferable registrations. 

If this car has a transferable registration card that would be a good thing.

A non transferable registration, not so much.

All that hype about New York cars with no titles can get you into trouble.

You can't just show up at the DMV in Oregon and tell them that NY didn't issue titles on old cars.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JACK M said:

My experience with New York registrations is that there are transferable and non-transferable registrations. 

If this car has a transferable registration card that would be a good thing.

A non transferable registration, not so much.

All that hype about New York cars with no titles can get you into trouble.

You can't just show up at the DMV in Oregon and tell them that NY didn't issue titles on old cars.

Correct.  If you buy a car from new york verify you're getting a transferable registration and then no additional title is required.   There are other, legal, ways around it too, just costs more time and money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The 55er said:

On 1/22/24 this 1955 Dodge LaFemme was marked SOLD on BAT for $13,850.

Thank you for the update, 55er!

It's interesting to note that the winning bid from BAT, $13,850, is very far away from the Dealer's original price of $24,500, representing approximately 53%.

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer La Femme Edition - Heather Rose & Saphire White 2dr Hardtop Coupe - Project - Hilton, NY - Not Mine - 1/15 Listed on BAT, No Reserve - 1/22 SOLD!