Were you ever gifted a vehicle of significant value ?

On 1/13/2024 at 11:09 AM, 60FlatTop said:

I have never been gifted anything of significant value. As I read through the posts I am reminded of how many cars and similar items I have given to needy people. From the critique of those beneficiaries I never gifted anything of significant value either.  I gave cars that weren't good enough, used too much gas, needed tires or oil changes, or did not run flawlessly forever. It seems like nothing was ever "good enough" for a needy person

Sometimes I think all it did was affect my charitable demeanor.

Reminds me of the one vehicle I was "given" as described above, a worn out non running pickup truck in return for doing $500 worth of work on the donor's car. His mother never forgave me for "stealing" her son's pickup truck and reminded me of what a heel I was every time I saw her.

18 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Reminds me of the one vehicle I was "given" as described above, a worn out non running pickup truck in return for doing $500 worth of work on the donor's car. His mother never forgave me for "stealing" her son's pickup truck and reminded me of what a heel I was every time I saw her.

We did a lot of work for an older couple. Mind you not senile. My older brother was recently married and the lady gave him a full set of china (dishes). Quite a few years later one of her children contacted my brother asking for it back, saying it was a priceless family heirloom or such. After getting divorced he had no idea where the stuff even was at that point. He kinda felt bad but at the same rate if it was THAT important they should have figured it long before they did.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 9:32 AM, Alex D. said:

While visiting a friend, I was checking out his old Cadillac that has been sitting in his garage for 50 years or so. I offered to help him pull the engine for a total rebuild that he had started shortly after he got the car, but that never happened. Mr. Jim knew I was interested in the old Cadillac. One evening I got the call, “Alex, That Cadillac is yours if you want it. Well Jim what do you want for it? You do not understand, I am giving you the car and I know that you will do something with it that I never will.”

Having no experience with a multi cylinder classic, I took on the challenge.

Nine years later it is still work in progress with the need of interior. After getting a quote of 18-20K to start, I purchase a Juki walking foot. Now I going to learn to Trim.

I may not know what I am doing, but that does not mean I cannot get it right.

There is nothing more expensive than a gifted Classic car in need of a full restoration.

The big question is, what do you do with a gifted car of significant value after a significant investment?

Do you restore it, do you flip it, part it out. Or re-gift it.

IMG_2210(Medium).JPG.4b1d44ff447bbefc510c94b8dc184665.JPG

nine years ago, in Jims's garage

IMG_3796.JPG.496781ea35af0dd65219c67c28efa809.JPGas of now.

In my opinion, after spending that much time and resources on producing an absolute work of art (great taste in colors, too, may I add), you should feel absolutely no obligation to re-gift it.... unless, of course, you want to. 

I'd like to also invite you to send your story and photos to me, as I'd like to use it in Antique Automobile. StelvioGT@yahoo.com

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

In my opinion, after spending that much time and resources on producing an absolute work of art (great taste in colors, too, may I add), you should feel absolutely no obligation to re-gift it.... unless, of course, you want to. 

I'd like to also invite you to send your story and photos to me, as I'd like to use it in Antique Automobile. StelvioGT@yahoo.com

Agreed.  I would only make one minor change.  😉

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I was going to mention that, but with the dark-painted wheels, I'm going to overlook that little faux pas. Alex... you have restored all the class back into that car. Congratulations!!!

• Like 2

It's interesting, the two reasonably valuable cars that I have been gifted one was sold soon after receiving it. I had no desire to own it, so I sold it for 66 cents on the dollar. The other car I still have, and recently decided to give it to a friend who will be willing to get five times up side down in it even though the basics of the car is solid and complete. I now no longer desire to do total restorations, or any cosmetic work either. 

I have purchased several cars from AACA members who basically gave me their cars...........they all asked for me to pay "what they paid" for them years ago. In the end, I think they were more interested in who was getting them, and how I would care for them.........and NOT flip them. In all three cases, I have committed to eventually sell them when I am too old to the best possible homes where they will be driven.....and I will give the money to three different car museums in memory of the owners. Usually by the time we are "done" with our cars, money isn't of much value to us anymore. I also understand why some people leave them in the garage just to look at them. Personally I don't think I can get out of bed in the morning if I did't own a pre war car. Sometimes in the middle of the night when I can't sleep because of some problem or issue, I get out of bed, look in the garage at my Pierce, White, and T ........and I go back to sleep feeling much better. Not many tangible things have meaning to me any more. My homes are not really important, neither are my household goods and other collector items. Only thing left in this world that means anything to me anymore is family, friends, my dogs, and my cars. Everything else.......everything .......is just clutter and baggage. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I guess it depends on what you call significant value. I've been GIVEN several cars...all of them one step from the junkyard. But, if you have very little money and you need to be able to get to work I'd call that significant...a life saver in fact.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My father had a really nice collection of brass cars and classics when he died. When the estate was distributed my brother and I each got our pick of one each, me 1st then my brother. My wife at the time loved the 1930 yellow model a Phaeton restored, and my brother picked a 1929 Rolls Royce Sedanca Deville all original with 25,000 miles. My wife hated the Rolls she thought it was a funeral car.

Still have the model a, brother has the Rolls. Oh, don't have that wife any more.

brasscarguy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, brasscarguy said:

My father had a really nice collection of brass cars and classics when he died. When the estate was distributed my brother and I each got our pick of one each, me 1st then my brother. My wife at the time loved the 1930 yellow model a Phaeton restored, and my brother picked a 1929 Rolls Royce Sedanca Deville all original with 25,000 miles. My wife hated the Rolls she thought it was a funeral car.

Still have the model a, brother has the Rolls. Oh, don't have that wife any more.

brasscarguy

How did you decide who went first?

23 hours ago, alsancle said:

One of the few things Mr. Jim did was to buy 4 new wide whites, which you see. From what I understand, standard for Cadillac in 1932 were double sided whites.

• Like 1