Jump to content

I need someone to look at a car in NH I'm considering buying.


Recommended Posts

Yes, this is the perfect category for such a request.

 

You should tell the year and make of the car, since

knowledge varies among hobbyists.  For example,

someone may be very knowledgeable about Ford

Model A's of the early 1930's, but know little about

1980's Jaguars.  The same could be said of a

1960's muscle car versus a 1949 Hudson.

 

And please be sure to check back regularly--maybe

twice a day for a while.  Some newcomers post a request,

and get many responses, but weeks go by and they're

never heard from again.  This site is more active than

some realize.

 

All the best to you in your quest!

 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

John is more generous than me.  

 

You need to post a lot more information.

 

Also,  "looking at" a car for someone means lots of things.  You need to be more clear.   Also, explain why the seller can't take a lot of pictures for you.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've found that pictures are useful, but the seller

must be trustworthy if they are to be relied upon.

"Oh, didn't you see that scratch in Picture #69?

That wasn't just a reflection." 

 

I had a case once where the seller intentionally hid

defects by "lying by omission"--excluding them from

the photos.  Thankfully, a personal visit by someone

from this forum revealed what the seller did not.

I paid the forum friend $200 for his efforts.  My $200

were wasted by the seller's deceit, but it saved me

from disappointment or greater expense in correcting things.

Not liking dishonesty, I did not buy that car.

 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I've found that pictures are useful, but the seller

must be trustworthy if they are to be relied upon.

"Oh, didn't you see that scratch in Picture #69?

That wasn't just a reflection." 

 

I had a case once where the seller intentionally hid

defects by "lying by omission"--excluding them from

the photos.  Thankfully, a personal visit by someone

from this forum revealed what the seller did not.

I paid the forum friend $200 for his efforts.  My $200

were wasted by the seller's deceit, but it saved me

from disappointment or greater expense in correcting things.

Not liking dishonesty, I did not buy that car.

 

There’s no substitute for personally inspecting a car.

 

However, in this case, the original poster is asking for a complete stranger to go look at a car for him. Does that really provide that much more value than good pictures?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found if the person looking is savvy,  short videos work great.  One member took some for me of a Hudson truck I was looking at buying and I was able to scroll manually through the video and it really helped me find little things I didn't see in the stills.  Which I could then go back and forth over.  It didn't stop me from trying to buy it,  but it let me see more clearly what I would have been getting.  Actually the seller refusing to take a bank wire or a bank check of his choice,  is all that killed the deal. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Peter Gariepy changed the title to I need someone to look at a car in NH I'm considering buying.
4 hours ago, Dan ciccone said:

I’m not sure if this is the place to put this looking at a car in New Hampshire to buy trying to find someone to go look at it for me thanks

Dan,

Welcome to the forum.

A  more complete description of your situation will help. (as would a better topic title, which I edited for you).

Year, Make, Model and expected condition would be a good start.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Snow season in most of NH now so that could be a factor too in finding someone willing to look at a car.  Year and model is needed as Peter says to get the right set of eyes looking at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You also have to say where the car is.  New Hampshire isn't the largest state by any means, but it is still almost 200 miles from north to south.  Traveling east-west is very difficult as there are few roads.  And, this week, many places had 6" to 18" of snow.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

I've been hired many times to inspect a car. I believe I provide a LOT of value over just photos. As mentioned, the owner may choose his photos to not show fault details. The photos I would provide plainly show faults.

Since his post was brief, perhaps he neglected to mention he wanted to hire somebody that really knew what they were doing?  Although, I’ve said this before I’m not a big fan of getting the local appraiser to go look at a car for you.

 

Anytime anyone’s asked me to look at a car, I’ve always told them not to buy it. That’s my default position before I even see it. And 95% of the time I’ll be right without even looking at the car. It’s usually never a great car or a good deal.. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

$10,000 is about the high end of my collector car range. In the past 25 years I have bought quite a few of them just from conversations with the owner and pictures.

 

That is the range of cars that I tend to like. When distance buying became available to me I figured out what my risks would be. I decided I could take a beating for $3,000 a year without sucking the household into it along with me. So my quest became "Can I buy a $10,000 car that failed to meet my expectations and recover $6,500 of it? Most likely yes. I knew I could make a better sales presentation than most private sellers. And I knew it had to be a pretty good car to tempt me to consummation.

I had confidence after concluding that and since making the personal policy have been able to get away without the loss. More often a little ahead in money and knowledge of the brand, particularly Jaguars and BMW's. But haven't learned enough not to try another.

 

23 years ago I bought a car in Michigan to part out and had it shipped to New York. It arrived and was too good. I kept it. That is my '60 Electra. Without my little risk policy I would not have bothered.

 

I am on the low end of what some of the forum members get into but that has always been my preference. Into the higher spans my risk management would just be proportioned accordingly.

 

Sometimes you need to be a little secretive. My wife used to do the books for my company. Our accountant questioned a withdrawal and a deposit of equal amounts a few weeks apart. My wife thought a bit and then said "Oh, that was for the Jaguar". Boy, did I get a lecture on corporate slush funds! In the name of risk management we figured out a new way of doing that.

 

Anyway, here is my list of questions for a seller. Digest the answers and you should be quite comfortable in your decision.

 

Buyer’s Questions

 

1. Do you own the car and have legal proof?

2 Is the paperwork clear and free of liens, unbranded?

3. How long have you owned the car?

4. Is the car currently licensed and insured?

5. Can it be driven on the road, legally, today?

6 Is the car in storage? If so, how long has it been stored?

7. How many miles did you drive it during the last 12 months?

8. Have you done any major work on the car since you have owned it?

9. What and when was the most recent service or repair?

10. If you decided to keep the car what improvement would you consider important?

11. Would you feel comfortable handing your wife the keys and sending her out to pick up a gallon of milk?

 

 

Remember, you will never lose all the money.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you own or have access to

a Smart phone ?

 

Does the Seller own or have

access to a Smart phone ?

 

Have the Seller bring the

vehicle to a well lit area 

with strong cell phone coverage.

 

You position yourself in

an area with strong cell service.

 

Both of you clear your schedules

and find a suitable time of day

to have a live video call.

 

Arrange to have an assistant 

for each of you to handle the

phone to you both can 

communicate without 

fumbling with a phone.

 

Easiest way to get live

answers to your questions.

 

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, alsancle said:

Since his post was brief, perhaps he neglected to mention he wanted to hire somebody that really knew what they were doing?  Although, I’ve said this before I’m not a big fan of getting the local appraiser to go look at a car for you.

 

Anytime anyone’s asked me to look at a car, I’ve always told them not to buy it. That’s my default position before I even see it. And 95% of the time I’ll be right without even looking at the car. It’s usually never a great car or a good deal.. 

This reminds me of the story that I am pretty sure happened to someone on here. They called the local sheriff (who else can one trust the most, maybe a Pastor ?) and asked if they knew anyone to look at a car. I cant remember the reply but the car came back with a glowing review, then he found out it was some kind of relative to the sheriff that was selling the car!

 

Like Flattop said, if its something on the lower side of what you can afford to loose, then it may be worth having someone look at it for you or send pics. IF its a more high end car and not something you want to throw money away on, it would be worth the trip to look at it yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

This reminds me of the story that I am pretty sure happened to someone on here. They called the local sheriff (who else can one trust the most, maybe a Pastor ?) and asked if they knew anyone to look at a car. I cant remember the reply but the car came back with a glowing review, then he found out it was some kind of relative to the sheriff that was selling the car!

 

Like Flattop said, if its something on the lower side of what you can afford to loose, then it may be worth having someone look at it for you or send pics. IF its a more high end car and not something you want to throw money away on, it would be worth the trip to look at it yourself.

It might’ve been me that told that story. It happened to me back in 1987. That was when you got a few Polaroids in the mail when you were looking at a car. My dad‘s buddy called the sheriff in the small town deep in Georgia. it ended up being the car was owned by his brother-in-law. But he failed to disclose in the phone call. But he did give a glowing recommendation for the car. Allegedly we were going to be able to drive all the way home to Massachusetts, that is if we could get it to start. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 6:57 AM, Dan ciccone said:

...looking at a car in New Hampshire to buy trying to find someone to go look at it for me thanks

Dan, did you ever find someone?

Or did you decide not to pursue that car?

 

We want to help, and after giving advice, it's

nice to know the outcome.  We're rooting for you

in your quest.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...