1931 Chrysler Imperial Oil Filter.

Joao46

Hi

My 31 Chrysler Imperial came with what looked like the stock oil filter. 
It’s the type you would have to replace the entire metal unit by unbolting it from the car.

Long story short, I removed it to see if I could see anything inside and lo and behold it was completely empty. 
It looks like a previous owner split it open, gutted it and brazed the 2 halves back together and painted it so the car looked stock.

So I found a canister on eBay of the type you can unscrew the top and replace the element when needed and installed it.

It’s probably a bypass filter, which needs to be regulated with an orifice. Here is the current best option……..they work great and I have several on my cars. Uses a five dollar spin on Chevy filter.

IMG_1766.png

IMG_1767.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

A while back I purchased this unit from an AACA/WPC member on here who was clearing out the last 2 or 3 of some custom made filters for Chrysler CD8's he had someone manufacture years ago. They take a modern canister type as shown in these photos. In meantime I removed and flushed the original filter and have it on engine during initial startup and will eventually replace with this new one. Beautifully made aluminum case, perfect match to original including raised lettering for inlet/outlet etc.

IMG_7952 (2).JPG

IMG_7953 (2).JPG

IMG_7954 (2).JPG

IMG_8394.JPG

IMG_7951 (2).JPG

3 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

A while back I purchased this unit from an AACA/WPC member on here who was clearing out the last 2 or 3 of some custom made filters for Chrysler CD8's he had someone manufacture years ago. They take a modern canister type as shown in these photos. In meantime I removed and flushed the original filter and have it on engine during initial startup and will eventually replace with this new one. Beautifully made aluminum case, perfect match to original including raised lettering for inlet/outlet etc.

IMG_7952 (2).JPG

IMG_7953 (2).JPG

IMG_7954 (2).JPG

IMG_8394.JPG

IMG_7951 (2).JPG

Thanks, but we got an older filter to work with an existing filter.

IMG_0491.png

• Like 1

Be careful with that set up. It needs to be a controlled bypass. It could cause oil pressure problems and bearing issues.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Be careful with that set up. It needs to be a controlled bypass. It could cause oil pressure problems and bearing issues.

I don’t understand, it’s no different from the factory setup as far as the line’s dimensions, except that the factory was a non serviceable metal ‘barrel’ that required you to unbolt and replace the whole assembly.

Also, my oil pressure runs at 35 psi warm idle moving quickly to 60 once I rev the engine.

That is not a full flow oil filter. It’s a bypass filter. Originally the fitting would have been reduced down so oil line size has nothing to do with it. Modern fittings also alter the flow rate from what would have originally been installed if it wasn’t restricted. It needs to be fairly restricted. Todays modern oils are ten times better than the old days, but with the way the car will be driven on modern roads, there is a risk of oil issues as oil volume is more important than pressure. Oils main function is to remove heat, and then lubrication. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3