55 Ford Ranch Wagon (2 door) - $18,000

2 Door Wagon...Seems like there is an inverse relationship between usability and desirability (more pics in ad) 

I'd like it a lot better in the original mint green with 3speed + OD, but it does look presentable and useable. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/d/petaluma-55-ford-ranch-wagon/7704113566.html

Survivor, runs and drives great. Straight body, no broken windows. 272 Y block, 4 speed on the floor. In our garage the last 20 years in Petaluma. California car, 3rd owner.  email:  86c0ebb5e76b311db02bc5b0f7b08f3f@sale.craigslist.org

image.png.b4cd91bad35dfb2882feadc9705b3c36.pngimage.png.e8666e9cc1ab09ec5cb9604e1a3d6c71.pngimage.png.17552a4fd89013099b88fe3fa4618fc1.pngimage.png.ad28070514581b05b9537951606f70e2.pngimage.png.152f65d15fe0a4caf94002f1cd1c96f8.pngimage.png.f381fe5637af55beca34baaaa43af115.png

• Like 3

I do like ranch wagons but not this one!  Though the floor shifter installation looks decent it looks out of place on this wagon.  The front bench looks like it's covered with some type blanket and it does not match the rear bench seat; if it is a permanent type of upholstery it's not original and I am not liking it!  The stainless side trim has been left off and it sure would look better if it were on.  The same goes for the beauty rings for the wheels; put them on!  The interior door pulls are missing from both doors and it make the door panel look cheap; put them on!  I don't think anyone with pay 18 grand for it, I know I wouldn't! GLWTS

Oh yeah, what's with the big box in the rear area?  It does not add anything to the value of the car.....

This is the base ranch wagon for '55. No chrome, no beauty rings, and with rubber around the windows. Usually built with a 6 cyl. engine for fleet or economy buyers.

I purchased a similar one in high school from Ma Bell with about 50k on the clock. It was fitted with a governor under the carb which may have prolonged it's first life. That went into the trash on day one. The six and 3-speed stick seemed to have a lot if spirit, considering I was "moving up" from a '50 Ford with a very tired, smoke belching flathead. 

image.png.8358e27de8d8a6458fb3f47791813778.png

• Thanks 4

well this picture came off the web and it has a stainless strip running down the side with beauty rings on the wheels:

image.png.a3be0ceabc67e8454bebf48c66e46d75.png

here's another version of it:

image.png.bb819abc50c134ec19302887d3a18928.png

These were the pictures I looked at before writing my reply.    If there is a lower model the excludes these things I wouldn't know as I am no Ranch wagon afficionado. Moreover I was commenting on that specific car an in my opinion it needs these things to break up the blue paint

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, deac said:

well this picture came off the web and it has a stainless strip running down the side with beauty rings on the wheels:

image.png.a3be0ceabc67e8454bebf48c66e46d75.png

here's another version of it:

image.png.bb819abc50c134ec19302887d3a18928.png

These were the pictures I looked at before writing my reply.    If there is a lower model the excludes these things I wouldn't know as I am no Ranch wagon afficionado. Moreover I was commenting on that specific car an in my opinion it needs these things to break up the blue paint

The yellow wagon is a "one of none" modification on a "Custom Ranch Wagon" (see brochure) with Fairlane side trim added. The  blue one, also a "Custom Ranch Wagon", has trim on the "B" pillar from a 1956 Parklane series wagon that Ford created to compete with the Chevy Nomad.

Neither of these wagons are in factory trim, although I like them better than the "plain jane" in the OP.

There was also the "Country Squire", a 4-door fake woody, but that's another story.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

2 Door Wagon...Seems like there is an inverse relationship between usability and desirability

This! I have wondered about this as well. I think maybe it’s the Nomad effect. Or maybe two doors makes a wagon cooler than a kid toting four door version?

I like wagons for the practicality, and a four door wagon is more practical. Much easier to fit a mountain bike in the back when you can reach in through the rear door and pull. 

When I had my ‘57 Chevy (four door) wagon, most people called it a Nomad anyway. I eventually stopped correcting them. 

The subject wagon is pretty cool. I don’t think it will get $18k but it would be a fun car to just enjoy and maintain.  Not much to it that can go wrong. I assume the front seat vinyl is shot, hence the seat cover. 

• Like 2

This '55 is a presentable driver, and if it runs/drives good, would make a fun boutique store promotional vehicle to park out in front of the shop or something. My RW isn't as practical as a four door wagon or a van, but still has some utility. Unfortunately, I never had the time to refurbish it while I had my business...I had to retire first.

As much as I've loved two door wagons all my life, my dream wagon now would be a '57 Buick Caballero or something. Or maybe a Country Squire version of this Ford. I think this RW is cool, but will likely end up selling for several thousand less than the asking price.