Rebuilding a Window Motor, 1995 Chrylser

Angelfish

1995 LeBaron convertible left rear quarter window.  Bosch motor 0130821135.  We have not been able to locate a new one.  Seems like these were a common failure in these cars. 

I disassembled and cleaned a very stuck armature.  Now the motor does click when power is applied but it does not spin.

In the picture below, there is the red rectangular item with two terminals.  I removed this from the brush assembly and I'm assuming it's a capacitor.  It has the marking 480 210 and I'm further assuming this means 48 mfd, 21 volts, and that it's nonpolarized.  But we all know about assumptions.  The resistance across the terminals is near zero.  I don't have a capacitor tester.   You can also see where I soldered in a standard polarized capacitor to see if it made things work.  It did not. 

There is also a lot of play in the shaft and it's possible that the armature is contacting the stator. 

So, looking for wisdom and advice.  Given the choice I'd like to get this one working and reuse it, but if a replacement is available it's good to have the option. 

IMG_0251.JPG.75775a7273380e7ec30a2868c317e5c7.JPG

Do you think the little red item could be a thermal cut out switch?  If the motor draws too much current maybe that’s the thing that opens the circuit to prevent the motor from burning up?  Don’t know, just speculating.

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Do you think the little red item could be a thermal cut out switch?  If the motor draws too much current maybe that’s the thing that opens the circuit to prevent the motor from burning up?  Don’t know, just speculating.

I don't know but I could jump the terminals where is was connected and see if it worked.  Sometimes the most obvious things are also the most elusive. 

• Like 1