62 Invicta fuel sending unit

larryabbott

Greetings, maybe someone can help me out.  I have a 62 Invicta convertible.  I want to check the fuel sending unit (gas gauge doesn't work, maybe it's the sending unit, as it was on my 53 Ford).  Anyway, there looks to be two possible access "ports."  One is on the "floor" of the trunk, driver's side, near where the filler neck would go.   The other  possibility is on the upper "tier" of the trunk near the back seat.  There looks to be some sort of tank under this port, but it's not the main tank (?), and I don't imagine there are upper and lower connected gas tanks (?).  

Thanks for any suggestions and clarifications.

Larry

I would also check the in dash fuel gauge, I had a issue with fuel gauge not working like yours, I removed the dash cluster assembly and upon looking at it found burnt spot on the circuit board area by fuel gauge and found no power with key on going to fuel gauge, I soldered in a fuse holder between the circuit board and fuel gauge and then it started working and have had no more issues with fuel gauge.

Under the spare tire in the trunk forward area is where you can see a section in the middle area cover with screws, when cover removed, you can inspect or replace the fuel gauge sending unit and also test the wiring at that point, If you are a Buick Club Member Pete Phillips had article in the Buick Bugle (September 2016 pages 36 thru 39 you can view on-line) on this and detailed instructions of removing fuel tank sending unit and fuel tank, this job is the same from 1961 thru 1964 large series Buick's.

Fuel tanks are a real bear to remove because in each corner of the fuel tank are special securing nuts that when rusted (and rusted they will be) the nuts just spin free and the bolt just spins around and around, not a fun job at all.

I hope this helps

Bob

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I would suggest not going too far with your work UNTIL you have verified that the current fuel tank sending unit is well-grounded. You can always run a known ground wire to the housing of the sending unit to check. A bad ground on the sending unit is probably the most common cause of the gas gauge "not working". John

• Like 2

Usually, a bad (i.e., 'open') ground at the sending unit will cause the gauge to read FULL.  A sunk float or other issue with the linkage in the sending unit could make it read EMPTY, or possibly be stuck somewhere in-between.  If you can access the wire at the sending unit try disconnecting it and see what the gauge says.  I would expect it to read FULL.  Next, ground the wire and see what the gauge says.  I would expect it to read EMPTY.  If the gauge responds like I expect, then it's probably OK.  If not, then there's either a problem with the wire to the gauge or the gauge itself.  There could be an issue with the instrument cluster circuit board, as Bob noted above.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 9:19 PM, larryabbott said:

Anyway, there looks to be two possible access "ports."  One is on the "floor" of the trunk, driver's side, near where the filler neck would go.   The other  possibility is on the upper "tier" of the trunk near the back seat.  There looks to be some sort of tank under this port, but it's not the main tank (?), and I don't imagine there are upper and lower connected gas tanks (?).  

I thought the tank was in that raised area.  There should not be two tanks. 

• Like 2