Early 1900s Kansas City jitney...what is it?

owlduckchicken

I have a very cool glass negative that includes this car.  It seems to be a Kansas City jitney (car for hire) based on the other details of the pic.  I know that's the correct location, but apparently jitneys ran in Kansas City mostly between 1915 and 1919, and I'm not sure whether that lines up with the age of this car.

I can't figure out what kind of vehicle it is.  When I search, those headlights are the distinguishing feature that Google focuses in on, but it doesn't really take me to a matching vehicle.  I have found that those lights are "French-type carriage lamps", according to the Standard Carriage Lamp Company of Chicago, circa 1903, but those could be attached to many cars.

Following the carriage lamp trail (probably a false trail), it leads me to a lot of cars that don't match the body...like a Panhard motor car with Muhlbacker body, or a 1903 Gladiator Tonneau.

Does anyone recognize this specific model?  I can't find any markings anywhere, except possibly on the hubcap.  I've included a close up pic of the tire where you can kind of see that there's something on that cap.  It's very blurry but maybe the vague shape will jog someone's memory where it doesn't mean anything to me.  I have no shots from other angles, just this one.

Thanks!

IMG_0014 car crop 968.jpg

IMG_0014 headlight.jpg

IMG_0014 tire only.jpg

• Like 2

The lamps appear to be USA made Solar self generating headlamps.  the car itself seems to be in the 1903/4 era.  Many cars at this time came without lamps.  You could buy what your wanted and use them.  The cars that did come equipped with lamps when purchased were fitted with the same kinds of lamps that could be purchased from catalogs or in automobile accessory stores.  You won't be able to identify the make of car by these lamps though, since they were not specific to any particular make of car. 

Terry

Solar self generating.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DFeeney said:

In reference to these lights does "Self Generating"  mean the gas was made inside the lights and not from a remote tank.  thanks,  Don

Correct. There are both carbide and water compartments in the lamps. Adjusting the water drip into the carbide produces the gas.

Terry

• Like 2

Thank you all very much.  I took a little time away over the holidays and just got back to check this now.  

It definitely matches that Pope Toledo as Chris and mechanician said.  I hunted all over for a match to those graceful looking running boards/fenders, and voila, there it is.  It's such a neat looking car.

Also, looking at Chris' photo of a Pope-Toledo, I now want a car with a side wicker storage basket!

Interesting info about the lamps as well!

• Like 1