1939 Cadillac Series 61 bringing her back to life

dennisspeaks

K just bought a 39 Series 61 convertible from a friend who it was his dads and passed away.  The car has been sitting since 1990 in their barn.  Usually when a car has been sitting i put Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders but I am told you can't do that with these flathead engines.  Can anyone confirm if this is possible or not?  Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Happy Holidays.

20231222_115511.jpg

20231222_114557.jpg

20231222_120636.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, dennisspeaks said:

K just bought a 39 Series 61 convertible from a friend who it was his dads and passed away.  The car has been sitting since 1990 in their barn.  Usually when a car has been sitting i put Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders but I am told you can't do that with these flathead engines.  Can anyone confirm if this is possible or not?  Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Happy Holidays.

20231222_115511.jpg

20231222_114557.jpg

20231222_120636.jpg

Congratulations.  That looks like a " clean, make it stop and run" car.

Ben

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dennisspeaks said:

Usually when a car has been sitting i put Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders but I am told you can't do that with these flathead engines.

I don't know why not...  If hydrolock is a concern, just be sure to remove the plugs, spin it over and let it spit-out the MMO after letting it sit.  Put rags over the heads to catch the spray.

• Like 4

I agree with EM TEE.  You did not mention if the engine was locked up.  I would leave the plugs out, let the oil soak down a while and perhaps remove the starter and use a "Ladyfoot" bar with the flywheel teeth to get it moving.  I would also be concerned with a valve stem being stuck in the guide holding it open.   Keep us posted.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Let me know if you want a copy of an engine rebuilding document I assembled for the 1936-48 Cadillac flathead. While you may not be planning a rebuild, it may give you some insights into the internals of the engine. If so, just PM me with an email address and I’ll forward it (Word document).

Scott

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 8:45 AM, Stude Light said:

Let me know if you want a copy of an engine rebuilding document I assembled for the 1936-48 Cadillac flathead. While you may not be planning a rebuild, it may give you some insights into the internals of the engine. If so, just PM me with an email address and I’ll forward it (Word document).

Scott

Yes thank you.  I don't plan on rebuilding at this point but all the resources I can obtain will be helpful.  :)  I guess my account is two new to PM at this time.

On 12/23/2023 at 3:45 PM, DFeeney said:

I agree with EM TEE.  You did not mention if the engine was locked up.  I would leave the plugs out, let the oil soak down a while and perhaps remove the starter and use a "Ladyfoot" bar with the flywheel teeth to get it moving.  I would also be concerned with a valve stem being stuck in the guide holding it open.   Keep us posted.

Engine is not locked up and turns over sometimes, other times it just clicks, I bough some new 0 gage wires and will be cleaning all the connections to see if that solves the issue.

With a little homework you can master, trouble shooting a point- ignition system.  Start with a VOM meter and a 6/12 vt test light.  Learn one step at a time and become the "  Prince of Spark".  I was taught one step at a time by my deceased brother and have helped many a person over the years.  

On a 6 volt system it helps to clean the dirt, paint and rust off of the faces of the starter and bellhousing where they touch. That is in addition to heavy battery and ground cables and clean electric connections.