Hex-Head Kingpins with Threads to Identify

John

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, John said:

Close!  1921-1927 Chevrolet KP's are similar configuration but are smaller diameter.   

We put similar-looking kingpins in the '26 Pontiac a few years ago but I can't recall the size.

Balcairn 21 John McDonald photo.jpg

Prior to your reply I had not considered they may be for a 1920's or earlier application.    Now I'm looking for an early catalog that includes dimensional data.  Thanks for your help!

17 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

We put similar-looking kingpins in the '26 Pontiac a few years ago but I can't recall the size.

Balcairn 21 John McDonald photo.jpg

Is this car running over a fence post?

Kinda looks like he might be running ga slalom coarse.

10 hours ago, JACK M said:

Is this car running over a fence post?

Kinda looks like he might be running ga slalom coarse.

Yes, that white post was the marker for the left side of the course. The event is a trial based on the system run by the VSCC in the UK although with local variations.  The idea is to get as far though each course as possible without stopping. There are numbered markers and the last one you pass is your score. Where the UK event travels to several properties our one is run one just one farm, which means we can run cars which are not road legal. Most of the competing vehicles are much modified small English cars - Austin 7s and Ford 10s. We run the Pontiac just for fun. It is mechanically completely stock - engine never rebuilt as far as I can work out - although it is getting quite tired. The engine has never been out of the chassis and the engine and gearbox have never been separated. It did break an axle a few years ago and while fixing it discover the axle that broke was an old time replacement and had a longitudinal crack in it. We also discovered the car had 3.82:1 Chevrolet rear end gears instead of the original Pontiac 4.10:1 gears.

The event is usually run in July - our winter - and most years it is not too wet but in 2023 it was so wet we didn't bother going.  The last photo was taken while packing up after the 2022 event.  We first got the car running in 2011, when my two sons were still at school, and I did the driving but after a few years I let them take over the driving. Both sons learnt to handle a crash gearbox on that car - see photos.

There was thought that one day the Pontiac might b come a street legal speedster but there are too many projects in the queue in front of it so it will remain as it is for now.

The Pontiac makes a couple of appearances in this video - 

037.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

20220724_153952 crop resize.jpg